Discussion How likely is it that the Russians are blackmailing Barr, other republicans?...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The two worst offenders are McConnell and Graham. McConnell is all about being a partisan hack and greed (see above deal). Graham I could definitely see someone having something (that's obvious to everyone) on him. How else to explain such a drastic 180? Not like they'd primary him for expressing occasional criticisms (see Romney).
Lindsey admitted in December of 2016 that Russians had hacked his campaign email. Shortly after that is when he did his complete 180 to being one of Trump's most vocal defenders. I'd say there is a 100% chance that Russians have compromising information on him with a 0% margin of error.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
At first I think the whole idea is silly, then Trump gets on the phone.............

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Lindsey admitted in December of 2016 that Russians had hacked his campaign email. Shortly after that is when he did his complete 180 to being one of Trump's most vocal defenders. I'd say there is a 100% chance that Russians have compromising information on him with a 0% margin of error.

That might explain Lindsay, but fails to explain how so much of the GOP fell lock step behind Trump and will ride his coattails to their own political graves if need be.

I think a simpler explanation exists vs. “vast Russian conspiracy”. Republicans will bow before Trump because they’re convinced they need his base to win elections. They’re banking on 2018 being a standard midterm shuffle and think they’ll win 2020 as long as the economy keeps on humming.

Why do they need a base of deplorables? They can keep cozying up to billionaires, big oil, banks, corporate lobbyists, churches etc. to raise money, but at the end of the day they still need votes.

The GOP has fully embraced identity politics because without it, they are unelectable. The demographics have shifted and their old base of white baby boomers are becoming less relevant—it’s their kids and grandkids that the GOP needs to cling to though. Their reliable single-issue voters (anti-abortion, pro 2A etc.) just aren’t enough to win elections anymore. Deplorables + evangelicals is the way to go. GOP members may not really care about Trump’s agenda, but you can be sure they care about winning elections.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't think it's that sinister. I think it's just they know his base can get THEM re-elected as well, so they pander to them. Notice how the ones "retiring" have been the only ones to really push back against him.

Politicians are mostly worried about their own backsides. Very few genuinely care about PUBLIC service.

The thing is, we have proof that the Russians were buddying up to Republicans before Turmp ever co-opted their base from them, so I don't think that explains their behavior. I think the more plausible is that the Russians were already friendly with many Republicans for years and now the Republicans are stuck because Turmp has made it impossible to ignore their likely outright treasonous behavior. I think that's why they were freaking out about Turmp (they thought he really would expose their corruption - he just got done tearing the GOP a new asshole in the primaries where he said he would do exactly that), but once he got in bed with the Russians more than anyone, they thought they had him by the balls, only for him to fuck things up triggering investigation which means now they have to cover for him to save their own asses.

If it was simply the base, they could easily show how corrupt Turmp was and how many things should have him impeached and tossed out, they could get rid of Turmp (whom they fucking hate and think is a complete moron), and make him take the fall for the Russian shit. It'd actually play to the base (which wouldn't be happy but they'd follow, just as they did before Turmp was ever even involved in politics) and they'd get to call themselves real patriots and true Americans. Oh and keep in mind, Pence would be a much easier Manchurian Candidate for their shit. Yet they haven't. There's a reason for that.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
UNCJigga hit the nail right on the head in post #28 above.

As far as Barr goes, I would rate the chances of the Russians blackmailing him at 0.0001%. The reason for his wholesale selling of his office to Trump is 99.999% due to his own own personal unbridled ambition coupled with a complete lack of professional ethics and partisanship. Trump should be congratulated for this purchase-a real triumph, especially since it didn't cost him a dime out of his pocket and has next to no downside risk as far as Trump is concerned. Shame on the GOP senators for rubberstamping their "advice and consent."

Lindsay Graham-who knows, I've given up trying to figure him out a long time ago. He used to make real sense in ten percent of what he said, now he is a 100% Trump toady.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well we know there is no evidence the Russians are infiltrating and bribing the left so possible.