How kids react to the portable cassette player

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
First time I saw a walkman it took me a second to figure it out. Didn't need a detailed guide or walkthrough. The tech is simple enough for the time. Now it is overly simple in a way compared to tech of the time, but ease of use isn't as simple. It was easy for me and others at that time to figure out that simple tech, because all related tech at the time was of similar fashion. It was simple in relative to what was out there, and easy to use relative to what was out there. In comparison to tech of today, which is what kids would have experience with, this is something that isn't as simple to figure out at first glance. Does that make sense?

The kids in the video are adjusting their reactions to what they have experienced and know. At least 1 little in the video had experience with it previously.

I mean seriously, hand the average adult a sextant and ask them to use it. The majority of people wouldn't know where to begin despite it being a really simple device. At the time it was in heavy use it was simple enough for the common person to figure out since it was similar to other items used by many at the time. It is no longer an item in current tech need usage to current items at this time. Which is why most people would barely know how to use a sextant.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I remember the Betamax and VHS wars but I was very young. My grandparents bought one and wasn't too long later that I remember they replaced it with a VHS. I bet they were sad that they initially chose the loser....like everyone that chose HD over BluRay. lol suckers.
But as far as my parents and grandparents stuff they grew up with, like 8 tracks and vinyl. I never had a problem figuring them out. Well vinyl was still pretty common growing up.
Any normal kid will sit there and play with it first and figure it out, not go huhrrrr.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
"I feel like Indiana Jones!"

None of the kids knew how to read? The buttons are all labeled. Most MP3 players require earphones.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
"I feel like Indiana Jones!"

None of the kids knew how to read? The buttons are all labeled. Most MP3 players require earphones.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
My first MP3 player was a Lexmark I think I bought on Amazon back in '05. LOL It had a SD card slot and a built in FM player and FM transmitter so that I could play MP3's on a radio. Nifty little guy until it stopped working last year. It would freeze often and you had to use a paper clip to reset it. I just kept a paper clip on the lanyard.

I would like to buy one of those portable Sirius/XM players though. I can stream music wirlessly through WIFI when I don't have a sat signal and I think they can record music.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
My mom and dad had records and I would always play oldies and kids songs until it drove them nuts. LOL

Mar 16, 2005
my favorite record that my parent's owned in the 80's... would play it after saturday morning cartoons.

Michaeljacksonthrilleralbum.jpg

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I think my aunt had the tape and the ghetto blaster to boot. LOL She has a Michel Jackson doll that is most likely worth some cash.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Anyone remember recording music right off the radio station to make mix tapes, and doing editing using a ghetto blaster that had 2 tape drives? Ahhh fun times.

I also had one of those "talk boy" recorders when I was a kid (same one as in Home Alone). Used to have fun with that thing.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm going to have to teach my kid how a record player and cassette deck work, just so she doesn't make me look like an idiot if given one on TV :)

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Anyone remember recording music right off the radio station to make mix tapes, and doing editing using a ghetto blaster that had 2 tape drives? Ahhh fun times.

I also had one of those "talk boy" recorders when I was a kid (same one as in Home Alone). Used to have fun with that thing.

I remember holding a microphone from a cheap cassette karaoke machine up the my TV speaker to record the Double Dragon theme song.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When I had a tape player and walkie talkies I would rubber band the PTT on one walkie talkie and put the other one in the front room and pretend I was a DJ.

Now I play with professional two way radios.