How is your local neighborhood this Halloween?

Nov 8, 2012
I can honestly say it's pretty clear mine has gone nuts.

They went all-out with decorations and are posting constantly on Facebook hoping for kids and parents to show up to their place. Not only are they offerring bags of candy - and "social distancing" methods of handing out candy - but plenty have also mentioned having Fireball shots and jello shots for accompanying parents heh.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Very quiet this year ... I was out doing a few things around 330p and saw 3-4 groups of little kids with parents trick or treating but that's about it. A few houses were decorated but most appeared locked up tight.

Looking out the window around 8p neighborhood's deserted.

On the bright side it seems most around here are following advice about staying home.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Every street but mine is LOL crowded. Maybe 5% wearing masks. My street is dark we are having issues giving out the candy we have.

We did secure about 5lbs in our excursion earlier. LOL at people giving out full size bars.

Nov 8, 2012
Wearing masks is something much more necessary for inside, so I don't blame people for not wearing them outside. I'm not going to wear one when I do a walk around the neighborhood or anything...

Personally we didn't do anything, shut the lights off, etc... Wife is just batshit scared of our premature born daughter and thinks her immune system can't handle COVID just because she was premature heh.

Overall I would say it was... "light" for our neighborhood as far as overall number of trick or treaters - but the ones that did went full-on with decorations, jello shots for adults, etc...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Wearing masks is something much more necessary for inside, so I don't blame people for not wearing them outside. I'm not going to wear one when I do a walk around the neighborhood or anything...

Personally we didn't do anything, shut the lights off, etc... Wife is just batshit scared of our premature born daughter and thinks her immune system can't handle COVID just because she was premature heh.

Overall I would say it was... "light" for our neighborhood as far as overall number of trick or treaters - but the ones that did went full-on with decorations, jello shots for adults, etc...
I tend to agree with the outdoor/indoor thing but this was push your way through a crowd level for about 6 blocks.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The houses that decorated have gone all out and did fantastic jobs. Couple of young families with kids moved in the neighborhood this year so there are more kids trick or treating.

I'm not answering the door or handing out candy. We stopped giving out candy couple of years ago.

Nov 8, 2012
I tend to agree with the outdoor/indoor thing but this was push your way through a crowd level for about 6 blocks.

Holy shit, how small is your neighborhood / street to be "push through crowd" of people o_O....

Man - and I thought here in TX they were getting tired of the social distancing...

Reactions: Captante

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Holy shit, how small is your neighborhood / street to be "push through crowd" of people o_O....

Man - and I thought here in TX they were getting tired of the social distancing...
Not that small LOL. I'm south of Fort Worth. The fracking county lists our neighborhood as a place to go.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Sounds like a very good reason to stay home even without taking Covid into account!

:oops:

Nov 8, 2012
Listen to your wife on this one please? :)

Better safe than sorry.

She is 3.5 years old now - I have a personal disdain of being over-protective of kids, but I understand and accept reasonable parts of it. Mostly because my mother in law lives with us - and if our kids get it then everyone in the house is probable to get it.

I think it's in a large part why my generation and the current generation are mocked so heavily to the point of having parents call when their kid doesn't get hired for a job.

Reactions: local and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
She is 3.5 years old now - I have a personal disdain of being over-protective of kids, but I understand and accept reasonable parts of it. Mostly because my mother in law lives with us - and if our kids get it then everyone in the house is probable to get it.

I think it's in a large part why my generation and the current generation are mocked so heavily to the point of having parents call when their kid doesn't get hired for a job.

Ahhh I see ... sorry assumed you had a newborn. :)

I agree completely ... most of today's parents would have an instant-coronary if they saw 1/10 of the stuff we did every day as kids! (I'm 56)

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Sounds like a very good reason to stay home even without taking Covid into account!

:oops:
In ye old days of 8 years ago I was allowed to not go out.

Most people had setup at their garage or in their driveway so not many tight spots but still, nuts.

Nov 8, 2012
Ahhh I see ... sorry assumed you had a newborn. :)

I agree completely ... most of today's parents would have an instant-coronary if they saw 1/10 of the stuff we did every day as kids! (I'm 56)

3.5 year old was born @ 26-weeks.

Other bay bay is currently ~9 months, but was born near full-term. So I guess she counts as a newborn heh - but overall my understanding is their immune systems are quite powerful.

Side comment - this reminds me of my parents hahahaha

My parents loved me because they never had to do the helicopter parenting. I was always at home and on my computer :p I just played world of warcraft all day/night - but they clarified later (after I got older) that they at least liked the fact that I didn't go out and have to worry if I was okay haha.

Of course, they also probably had the perception that I would grow up and be lazy, jobless, basement kid, etc.... but thankfully proved them wrong on that one....

• Haha

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
3.5 year old was a born @ 26-weeks.

Other bay bay is currently ~9 months, but was born near full-term. So I guess she counts as a newborn heh - but overall my understanding is their immune systems are quite powerful.
Not really, their immune systems kinda suck but they basically regenerate like wolverine so they recover. For covid small kids literally don't have the parts that this thing attaches to so while they get it it doesn't really do anything.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Hardly any decorations anywhere. We had 3 groups visit. I gave them all the candy lol.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's one nice thing about living 30-some miles past BFE. We have no sidewalks, only a few street lights at some of the major intersections, as well as black bears, cougars, coyotes roaming the neighborhoods. (Along with deer, deer, deer, raccoons, possums, and a variety of other critters. We have ZERO trick-or-treating here. The town usually has some kind of "bring your kid for candy" at the convention center plus a few of the local stores, this year, with COVID, much of that has been curtailed or reduced to drive-thru events.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Some houses were still handing out candy (myself included) but most just left out bags. Very little traffic this year.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Lots of decorations and we put a few on ours as well, but we weren't giving out candy. I wasn't going to support furthering the cause of 100k+ daily new cases while the EU is ahead of us and going back into lockdowns.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't think there were any trick or treater this year. But then my lights were off. Funny thing is yesterday was the first time in a decade that didn't rain on Halloweeen.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I was working till 7pm so probably missed most kids but I did get like 5-10 kids or so. I saw a couple rather well decorated houses but other than that it felt pretty normal. In general it seems people mostly went trick or treating and most people were more than willing to give out candy. Lot of people posting on FB saying they are giving candy and to come by.