Question How is Win10 with new hardware?

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
If I remember right Win98 and XP really did not like booting up with a different CPU and mobo from the system it was initially installed on.

Is Win10 any better?

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Move your files to external media. Windows doesn't like hardware swaps with the same Windows install. It will work (mostly) but I wouldn't trust anything important on the drive until I had a clean install.

Dec 10, 2005
I've swapped CPUs on a Windows 10 install (Ryzen 2600 --> Ryzen 5600X) and simultaneously swapped the GPU (RX 570 --> RX 6600) on my wife's computer and it was fine. However, I was going to be doing a reinstall when I got around to it, both for moving to Windows 11 for longer-term support, and to move the installation from a SATA SSD to a new NVME drive.

If I was doing anything with swapping motherboards, I'd definitely go for a fresh install. It could be fine, but it seems like a fresh install could be a good way to just avoid any gremlins that might crop up from such swapping and no re-installation.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I upgraded my PC this week with the intention of installing Windows 11 on a new SSD. When I booted up the first time I forgot to remove my old Windows 10 SSD which I was going to wipe after I confirmed the new hardware and Windows 11 worked. Windows 10 booted up fine with the new hardware. Yesterday I even booted up into it on purpose to retrieve a backup config for one of my apps. Both times I didn't hang out long so no idea if everything worked as advertised.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
10 and 11 can handle the differences better than previous OSes. However, if you are changing hardware, like the MB/CPU, then you should really be doing a bare metal install of Windows.