How is Vonage?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I'm thinking of switching to Vonage from BellSouth to cut costs. My friend sent me a referral that will give me a free month I believe, and also give him 2 months free. How is Vonage compared to regular phone service?

And what are your experiences?

surreal1221

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2005
*shurg* All I know is that I will be looking into broadband phone when I move into a house later this year.

/out

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I don't know dick about their prices or plans, but their commercials are stupid..

Woo-hoo Woo-hoo-hoo
Woo-hoo Woo-hoo-hoo
Woo-hoo Woo-hoo-hoo
Woo-hoo Woo-hoo
Woo-hoo Woo-hoo-hoo

:roll:

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
First of all, I like their service. I love the idea that I can unplug my Vonage box, go to work, plug it in, and my phone number comes with me. :heart:

Second of all, I love that music :D

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
My parents have it. It seems to work just fine. We had a version of it when it first came ot way back when and it was very static all the time...but the new ones are great...no breaking up at all. It saves a lot on phone call sbecuase they call accross the country a lot.

Only problems I have seen so far are:

1) the portable phones dont seem to have that long of a range...thats not a problem of connection...just phone strength....maybe its just our house too.

2)If the internet goes down..which it hasnt..but if it does then you are screwed

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
I have it, works fine for what I need (LOTS of calls to Canada and US long distance, I abuse it).

As far as their 911 stuff goes, you set it up for your location, I haven't used it so I can't really say how it works, but it's supposed to be the same as a normal phone.

I got an expandable set of 5.8 phones from Radioshack on a deal they were running, the main one with an answering machine and two extras for about $120, speakerphones in em and everything, been using them since last October and they have great distance and great clarity, very happy with them.

If my internet goes down, Vonage automatically forwards calls to my cell. You set it up ahead of time, so if your connection is messed, or power goes out or whatever, after so many seconds of rining (mine is set to 24, about 6 rings) it'll forward the call to your backup. That way I never miss a call, my Sprint phone will pick it up.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
I just signed up. With Vonage $24.95 plan I get unlimited long distance / local calling and many extras. With MCI I was paying about $68.00 mth for unlimited long distance / local calling. Hooked it up today ... very easy .. activated .. made a few calls .. works great ! Save about $43.00 a month ! Not bad at all. ;)