How is Vector Marketing / Cutco still in business?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
They target college kids -- sending mail, signs all over campuses, even in many of my classes they have signs written in top corner of chalkboard that says something along lines of "Part time, flexible schedule, high pay Workforstudents.com".

It's a damn pyramid scheme selling shitty knives that you even have to pay $100 to get the knives for your demonstrations and then drive (using your car/gas) to places.

How is this not 'shut down' by SEC or someone? It's ridiculous.

PS. No, I have not gone for an interview or anything of that sort.

EDIT: OK the knives are good but still

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The SEC? :laugh:

It hasn't been shut down because it's not illegal

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
I went to their training program after high school graduation. I was so happy because the business card read '12.00/hour'.

but then, it turns out you need to buy their knives, sell to people you know, and try to get them to sell to people that they know.....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Semidevil
I went to their training program after high school graduation. I was so happy because the business card read '12.00/hour'.

but then, it turns out you need to buy their knives, sell to people you know, and try to get them to sell to people that they know.....

aye. I fell for it too:(

What's worse is that I sold a $700 set of knives to a good friend of mine abotu a month before she died:(

urgh....the stupidity of youth /facepalm

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I think the answer is that they are not "shitty knives," they're actually really really good. I've never bought any, but I've been in many houses that have sets of Cutco knives. I usually ask the owner how they like them, and everyone has always said they love them.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Via wikipedia (of course)
Pyramid schemes are illegal in many countries, including the United States[1], the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Canada, Romania[2], Colombia[3], Malaysia, Norway, Bulgaria, Australia[4], New Zealand[5], Japan[6], Nepal[citation needed], Philippines[7], South Africa[8], Sri Lanka[9], Thailand[10], Iran[citation needed], and the People's Republic of China[11]. These types of schemes have existed for at least a century.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Adam8281
I think the answer is that they are not "shitty knives," they're actually really really good. I've never bought any, but I've been in many houses that have sets of Cutco knives. I usually ask the owner how they like them, and everyone has always said they love them.

the ones I got (technically at the discounted rate or whatever) were paid for out of my wages iirc and have been fantastic. frankly I don't see how a manufacturer could do any better than a personal touch these days but it does make them look really REALLY scam-ish though.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Can't speak to the quality today - but my mom bought a set in the 70's for $900, that was real money back then - I checked them out last year at thanksgiving cause I cut turkey and those knives are still perfect to this day - dish washered for decades and sharp as a razor. just sayin

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
The knives are actually good quality. I don't like the way they're marketed though.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
It's basically an example of a decent company seeking a model that requires little investment from them and perhaps greater returns than having their products sit, for a fee, at a department store.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I guess the same reason Wall St. has all the Gorden Geckos running around scamming people and demanding bonuses to bankrupt companies.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Semidevil

I did too. They wanted you to come in for 3 separate training sessions - I went to 2 of them. Never went back once they said that I'd have to buy my own set of demo knives and hit up my friends and family for leads.

To be fair though, the knives really did seem to be of excellent quality, and I did learn a lot about knife materials and construction, along with how to tell a poor quality knife vs. a good one in the first session of training. :) They did some demos of the knives (dropping a ripe tomato onto the blade from a little ways up, and the knife sliced it clean in half, etc). I tried the same thing with a new set of cheap Farberware knives that I had at home, and they failed miserably.

SpiderX

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
My In-Laws have Cutco knives. They really are great. Expensive for sure. But damn do they cut nice.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Its technically not a ponzi scheme since they are actually selling something and not doing any false advertising. However, the knives are probably way overpriced.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: mugs

Via wikipedia (of course)
Pyramid schemes are illegal in many countries, including the United States[1], the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Canada, Romania[2], Colombia[3], Malaysia, Norway, Bulgaria, Australia[4], New Zealand[5], Japan[6], Nepal[citation needed], Philippines[7], South Africa[8], Sri Lanka[9], Thailand[10], Iran[citation needed], and the People's Republic of China[11]. These types of schemes have existed for at least a century.

But these guys, like Amway, have an actual product. The pyramid scheme of it isn't the primary "money maker" for people who are trying to move their way up the pyramid--in theory, selling the knives is.

When I was younger I was lured in by the advertising, but once I learned that I'd have to buy my own and go door-to-door, I was out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I hate to tell you this but EVERY business is a pyramid scheme.
So it life.

And its not illegal.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
There is a fine line between CEO's and people who don't want to become a salesman.

A CEO is willing to work 80+ hours a week and could take on studying any job for as long as it takes in the least amount of time to become better than the average person of the specified job description.

People are paid to think. Usually, the more you can think ahead, the more you are paid in or at a job. 'Earn what you're worth,' book. The reason why we have so few thinkers, is because it is about endurance. Knowledge is useless without wisdom, knowing how to assess the necessary with the best reasoning. Patience is a virtue.

You're not going to people in America who talk about their basic needs first? Who the hell does that these days? Who the hell cares?
Food, water, shelter and love.
Transportation, communication, education.
Family, friends, leaders, neighbors.
"It's all about me-me-me."

If you really think about it, "dogs eat dogs." Welcome to reality.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
sales people last maybe a few weeks at best after milking family and friends. and everyone gets an invite, so its not exactly impressive as a job offer. i remember i got one of those invites in the mail, a friend got taken in, and i figured it was a scam once i saw the prices. just wasnt gonna happen selling from door to door.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have a set of the Steak Knives, they are freakin awesome. Their Ice Cream Scoop is the best ever as well. I'd never get involved in Selling them though, just not my thing.