How is the OCZ ModxStream 600?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I've been making purchases for my SFF/HTPC and i got a good deal on the OCZ ModxStream 600 watt. The cables are very short on this, the 8-pin PSU can't even reach from behind the MB to the connector on the Mini P180.

Anyway, how does this PSU stack up in reliability/etc?

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
I think the quality and build is pretty good. I bought one during black friday, or that weekend. Using it in my little brother's comp, and no problems so far.

There's a review over at [H]ardocp, though they gave it a fail. IIRC, it was because the psu would shut down on full loads, but other than that, it looked good.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I've pretty much always been left wanting with OCZ's choices of their OEM's. Sirfa, Sirtec, FSP.....all OEM manufacturers down in the lower half of what I'd consider quality manufacturers.

Consider the ModXStream Pro 700. TREC capacitors? Really? For a few bucks more, Chemi-Con or Hitachi or Rubycon could have been used. Heck, even Samxon would have been a better choice.

And give a cursory glance inside and it looks very much like a cheap group regulated unit. And its voltage output was not exactly the cleanest around......

But you get what you pay for. An overly short warranty from a company that's EOL'ing almost all of their power supply lineup in a desperate attempt to keep some sort of cash flow going, in hopes it'll be long enough to gain enough market share from SSD sales to stay afloat and avoid bankruptcy.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Got mine for $50 - $25 rebate. Did I make the wrong decision? Goin tocuse wig integrated graphics

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
600W seems rather overpowered for a set up using only integrated graphics...

But price-wise, you got a good deal. I got mine just after Black Friday for $65 (including tax) -$10 discount -$30 rebate = $25.

It's not a high-end psu, but it's not some random no-name piece of crap either...

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
thats what i figured, and best of all its modular to fit well inside my SFF. i didn't bother reading up on it because i figured 600w will be overkill for my SFF/HTPC but i can also use it in the future in case i need to diagnose or switch out PSUs with my other PCs:

PCPC Silencer 610: Q6600@3.6ghz 8800gt
FSP Fx600-GLN Epsilon: AMD 620 x4, AMD 785
OCZ ModxStream 600: AMD 620 x4, AMD 785