how is the Nikon D40?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
GF really liked it at target, she is kind of hinting towards getting it for her for her birthday...but I almost KNOW there is a better one at a cheaper cost I can get online.

She is actually a very good photographer, has taken 5 courses of it already in high school alone. I am rather mediocre, but I can take some very good shots....What would you guys recommend around 400-500$ ? We can stay with the stock lens for now, until she has some more money and she cna get it after her birthday...or I can get her a lens for christmas, haha.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
BHphoto is a good place to get the D40 as well as any camera. I personally had it but I returned it because I enjoyed photography and knew I would outgrow the camera too soon to justify keeping it. People also seem to love the pentax K100D and of course theres the rebel XT. I got recommendations to go and actually hold the cameras and those recommendations rang true. There is definitely a difference that youll feel with holding each manufactures. You really cant go wrong with any of those three.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: OdiN
A D40 is a Nikon, FYI.

typed it quicker then I thought, thanks. I will go look at the XT as well, I have heard good things about Rebel too.

The XT's are good cameras, but I find the grips a bit small for myself.

I'm used to my 20D w/ battery grip though...I like bigger grips.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
D40 would be an excellent camera only if it had a built-in AF motor.
I usually don't recommand d40 due to this reason alone.
Why don't you spend a few more and go for D80?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
The D40 is somewhat limited when it comes to lenses that can AF on it.

The ONLY 3rd party lens manufacturer that will work on it is Sigma, and only for those Sigma lenses with HSM. No Tamron or Tokina lens will work on it.

Sigma lenses compatible with D40/D40x:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/e...ikon_d40_sigma_lenses/

The only Nikon lenses compatible with it are the AF-S and AF-I lenses.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

You'll notice in the link above that there are a lot of Nikon zooms that are AF-S, but there is a severe lack of Nikon primes with AF-S. The most popular entry level prime for nearly any camera system is a 50mm, but Nikon's 50mm's are not AF-S and Sigma doesn't offer a 50mm (possibly because it is already manufacturer to death by the big camera makers). So you're completely out of luck for a 50mm at this point in time. However, Nikon is discontinuing their current 50mm lenses to make room for a newer AF-S 50mm, so 50mm will probably be available for the D40/D40x very soon.

Will Nikon release AF-S versions of their other primes? I'm not sure. If they're trying to get rid of their in-camera focus motor system altogether in all of their camera bodies, then definitely.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I'd skip the D40, and look for a D50 if you want to stick with nikon. I agree the Rebel XT/I's are uncomfortable. But suppsoedly better w/ a battery grip.

But best thing is to try and see for yourself (or rather, your GF).

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I think any DSLR is a good gift ;)

If money is a pinch - check out the Pentax K100D with 18-55 lens kit. The lense kit, while is ultimately a lens kit, has been foudnb y reviwers to be substancially better than what they initially assumed. I got mine the other week and am absolutely thrilled with it :) Of course if she dose a lot of fast action shots and needs a higher FPS in continuous shooting, she might have to look elsewhere becauset he K100D is lacking in that area.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago
I think any DSLR is a good gift ;)

If money is a pinch - check out the Pentax K100D with 18-55 lens kit. The lense kit, while is ultimately a lens kit, has been foudnb y reviwers to be substancially better than what they initially assumed. I got mine the other week and am absolutely thrilled with it :) Of course if she dose a lot of fast action shots and needs a higher FPS in continuous shooting, she might have to look elsewhere becauset he K100D is lacking in that area.

I would agree if they already have an ultra compact.

Ultra compacts are great for always having one with you. Most have far more control than the compact 110 cameras they replaced.

My brother is a professional photog. He doesn't practice anymore, but he actually sold off a dSLR to replace it with a smaller G series and elph. Most of his shots take place while he is mountain biking, kayaking, etc. Having a smaller device as well as one that doesn't sting as much when it falls is a plus.

I like my A620, I went from a Canon A1 to a A50, then A70. My wife had a nikon she liked because it was easy do do self portraits with friends...since she's switched to an Elph SD450 and it takes surprisingly great pics and video.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
yes i agree - but he said she is pretty into photography and took over 5 classes in highschool. Just as using P&S can be fun, using DSLRs can also be fun ~ since I got mine I wonder how I used the P&S...especially for low light and situations that lend to increased noise

and the OP should assess if she'd rather have a DSLR or a P&S compact. Both have their advantages and disadvantages =) and since she seems to know quite a bit about photography, and already hinted at a DSLR --> I would think DSLR is the way to go :)

nero2

Dec 26, 2002
Last month I got a chance to use a D40x, which happened to be a gift in the exact same situation as you OP. Having used pretty much every Nikon DSLR (except a D2H) I'm with the other posters in recommending you stay away from the D40. I would try and get her a used D50 or D70. You can find bodies for $400 easily. I really don't like the D40/x for a few reasons:

no motor-drive - the D40 is a budget/starter camera, but there pretty much aren't any budget AF-S lenses. There are tons of great, relatively inexpensive lenses you can get for the Nikon AF mount, but they're all screw-driven.
no top display - this is a simple one, but on the D40 the LCD doesn't come on whenever you change a setting right away. It has about a half-second lag. You have to look through the viewfinder or wait for the screen to turn on. All Nikons w/ a top LCD show your settings on the top LCD whenever you trigger the meter (usually a half-press of the shutter) but in this case the D40 only shows the settings in the viewfinder.
poor control scheme - there are certain basic functions that should have dedicated buttons on DSLRs such as ISO, WB, and image size. The D40 IIRC has none of these. It has one func button that can be assigned to these options, but even if you assign it to ISO (the most command change) it's less than ideal. Also, it doesn't have a front command dial, which is a simple but nice thing to have.

The D80 is a real set-up from a D40/50/70, but it's much too large a price jump to justify on an individual's first SLR. All that said, a DSLR is any form is a huge step up from *any* fixed-lens camera because of RAW and low ISO noise.

EDIT: I only discussed the Nikon side, you could just as easily get her a Canon.

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005
I agree with Nero2 that the D80 is too much of a price jump to justify a simple "why don't you just get the D80".
Its about double the price of the D40.
If I were limited to your budget, I'd consider the D50. I don't think the D40x is worth considering since its price is pretty close to the D80's.
IMO the Canon XT doesn't feel that great.

Tu13erhead

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I got my D40 with the 18-55 kit lens for right around $500 from Circuit City (B&M). I also bought a 55-200mm VR Nikon lens from Amazon. I love it.