How is it that I have the easiest job of my life yet ironically making my all-time high?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
so the question is, is it really a super easy job, or, are you just good at it and have experience so you it feels easy to you?
I actually have to say both BUT workload IS light.

All I have to do is planning releases, (like a Proj mgr), communicate status, herd the team to be uniform, etc.

I literally hold (2) daily standups with team (15mins each), mess with backlog, keep it organized, attend some other calls where I merely observe.

Then I'm done for the day. I make myself heard in communications so it seems I'm busier than one would think.

Again, my teams, clients, managers all love me. And tried to convert me.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I actually have to say both BUT workload IS light.

All I have to do is planning releases, (like a Proj mgr), communicate status, herd the team to be uniform, etc.

I literally hold (2) daily standups with team (15mins each), mess with backlog, keep it organized, attend some other calls where I merely observe.

Then I'm done for the day. I make myself heard in communications so it seems I'm busier than one would think.

Again, my teams, clients, managers all love me. And tried to convert me.

Around here, the good project managers and team leads who know how to communicate, who to communicate to, and are organized and punctual wind up getting assigned to lots of projects. There is enough work to keep at least 10x as many people as we have busy ... so .. everyone is always swamped.

I think if we worked on less projects at a time, and worked on them faster, we would have more throughput, but, too many dependencies between external teams here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have your schedule beat. I leave at 2pm almost every day and don't have to log in to work when I'm home because I'm done for the day at 2pm.

Work definitely "feels" easier now but it's because I'm a lot better at my skillset now than I was when I got out of school. And I make over 3 times what I made out of school.

One thing I hate though is when I'm bored at work. A job being "easy" because there isn't much to do once you finish what you were tasked with is not a place I want to be at. I want to be at a place where once I'm done with the task I finished, there is something else to do.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
My biggest quality of life improvement recently came from beginning to telecommute out a co-working space for 3 days a week. I could probably get away with 4, but we have some work activities that I actually like on one of the days where I don't have meetings. Going to this space puts me in the right environment (analogous to studying in a library) to be productive, and is a 10 minute bike ride from where I live.

I wouldn't describe any of the jobs I ever had as "easy". It was always the loss of time and energy that was never easy. But when I have the ability to make my hours, and be where I want to be throughout the day, I end up putting in a very productive 6-8 hours, as opposed to 3. I also get back the time to go to the gym (~2 hours gained per day not commuting) and have way more energy going into the weekend.

After doing this, I don't think I can ever work for a company that expects me to commute to an office, to sit under a fluorescent bulb in a depressing cubicle - to code of all things, for 8 hours a day.

What I have now is about as close as I can get to being a true entrepreneur, while keeping the stability and benefits of a salaried job. If my work situation doesn't change much from here on out, I won't have much reason to ever look for a new employer. I pretty much live AND work where I want, without having to break my back over it.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i'm kind of glad my job isn't easy, because that would be boring. i get to learn some new stuff every couple of years which i enjoy doing.

i make trash salary for a developer (could probably be making 300-400$k in silicon valley), but i still make enough to save 50$k a year which should get me where i want to be in 10 years

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
There comes a certain point where you can provide enough value to an employer with your experience, efficiency, and skills that you don't need to be working like crazy 40+ hours a week to get paid well.

My job as a sales engineer for a tech company definitely entails 20-30 hours a week of "real work" but a lot of it also involves driving from my house to clients and partners, independent study to stay on top of my company's, competitor's, and industry's latest updates and news, researching prospects, and talking on the phone to partners and coworkers. However, sometimes I have downtime or nowhere to go and find myself going down a Youtube rabbit hole or playing a video game just to unwind. Some days I don't even shower until mid afternoon. One downside is that I'm never really off the clock either, especially at the end of each quarter, as we need to plan, build quotes and proposals, spend time entertaining clients, and doing whatever we have to do to win deals.

Some roll their eyes when I lament having to go to another customer dinner or happy hour but when you're forced to socialize with people that aren't your friends instead of being home with your family it takes some of the joy out of it.

The stress of constantly competing also takes a toll as you're expected to hit your quota and win every deal. That obviously doesn't always happen.

I've been fortunate enough to be successful at what I do and get paid extremely handsomely to do it. My father was excited he finally hit six figures just before he retired 2 years ago. I'll have earned double that by the end of April.

At the end of the day, getting to go before IT Directors, CIOs, VPs, and even CEOs talking about your company, product, and people and how you can help solve problems they face, cut costs, and increase revenue is exhilarating and I'd never have imagined as an IT geek sitting in a cube 9 years ago I'd be doing this today and the growth I've experienced as a person is something I'll always cherish.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
my biggest regret is not moving to silicon valley a decade ago when i graduated

doing something for 100$k a year that i could be making 500$k a year for in SV is just stupid