How is it that I have the easiest job of my life yet ironically making my all-time high?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
As a child, I saw how hard my parents worked as running their biz or even doing janitorial work back in the days. Then I thought people who made LOTS of money made that much worked CRAZY HARDER multiples of times.

Of course that's not the reality, nor should it be.

• I have lots of free time few days of the week.

• I can also WFH. Although they cut that down drastically recently.

• I don't think I've came home at 6pm more than 12 times in last 12 months. I always leave at 2-3pm and log in from home. Also mostly do nothing because I just get my stuff done prior.

• Most importantly, I am in great standing with my managers and teammates. I'm back to this client second time because they loved me first time so much. I survived multiple rounds of layoffs because I was one of the top candidate.

• No I'm not padding anything or lying. My job is to herd a team on a persistent basis (plan, execute, deliver through all the red tapes). Both of my teams like me.

Easiest job yet I make the most $$.

Anyone experience this strange phenomenon?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Easiest job yet I make the most $$.

Anyone experience this strange phenomenon?
Working hard being correlated with income is a myth propagated by certain political parties. While it is true that no work means no income, it is not true that more work necessarily means more income.

This graph is quite interesting: https://cdn.static-economist.com/si.../09/blogs/free-exchange/20150613_woc538_1.png
(taken from https://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/09/working-hours)

Countries that work about 1400 hours per person have a GDP of about $50/hour worked. Total GDP is roughly 1400 hours * $50/hour = $70,000. If you followed your myth that working harder leads to more income, then going to 2800 hours should give you more GDP, maybe even double. But, the reverse is true since productivity plunges. Those countries with 2800 hours worked are only getting $10/hour on average. 2800 hours * $10/hour = $28,000. Of course, this isn't a causation. Sometimes people work 2800 hours because they are so desperate simply to earn a few more dollars regardless of the consequences to productivity.

Yup. Work smarter, not harder. If you have a really useful skill, you get to use it.
What is usually true is what dave_the_nerd said. Work a bit harder from age 18 to 22 in college and you can get a great career and coast for life in a high paying job.

Last edited:

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I never understood why people think they should be making a lot of money because they shoulder a heavy workload. It's all about the price your skills command on the market. NOt how much exertion or time you expend.

Except when unions get involved. Then you get paid $40 / hr to drive a golf cart around the factory floor.
Unions: hamstringing business since ____?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I never understood why people think they should be making a lot of money because they shoulder a heavy workload. It's all about the price your skills command on the market. NOt how much exertion or time you expend.

Except when unions get involved. Then you get paid $40 / hr to drive a golf cart around the factory floor.

Unions, the creators of the working class, bringing historic wealth and prosperity to the average citizen of the likes this world has never seen. I would not be so glib accusing all unions of the same. And yes some of the big ones got corrupt but times have changed. There is no slacking off in today's unions, except in the gov lol.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

As someone who used to drive golf carts around factory floors all day I take offense to your tone. You just jelly.

These days, I make more than I've ever made. I've done far worse jobs for far worse money. I've done better jobs for less money. I'm at a happy medium when I think about it.

Reactions: Zeze and Thebobo

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011

Dude how can you be against unions... for the benefit of fatcats who don't give a crap about YOU?

Sure there are many bad apples in unions, but I'd rather have $$ to the people than the unprecedented income disparity we have today.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Most likely your experience is catching up to your job skillset so everything is simple. Try something out of the box, that you've never done before, or not, and ride the wave to the $$ moon. When things are easy, I tend to look for something that will maybe make me fail.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha I work at a NOC, same thing for me. Easiest job I ever had yet I make around 80k per year. Any harder job I would move to would be harder and I'd make less. The hours are nice too because it's shift work so I get lot of time off. This is practically a retirement job!

Down side is the reality that the easier a job is, the easier it is to relocate/automate/outsource so I always kind of have that looming stress in the back of my head that it could happen. Need to find a backup source of income and not be so complacent.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You're a non-white man that grew up to become a white man. That allows the company to put a check mark on the diversity checklist while still employing a white man.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Most likely your experience is catching up to your job skillset so everything is simple. Try something out of the box, that you've never done before, or not, and ride the wave to the $$ moon. When things are easy, I tend to look for something that will maybe make me fail.
Wise words.

This job is really making me complacent. I know I can continue to jump and actively try-hard to get a manager title elsewhere. But that'll mean another big adjustment with our daily cadence, commute, how stressful it actually is, etc.

I'm making a decent amount and the amazing schedule or people not caring when I leave is incredible. It's literally parking my ass to be planted here.

It's great with 2 young kids, they get sick often, etc.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
You're a non-white man that grew up to become a white man. That allows the company to put a check mark on the diversity checklist while still employing a white man.
Oh.

I think you're delusional or outdated somewhere in rural area. My company is a fortune 20. And in IT 60% is Indian, then 10% Russians. They make multiples more than business side that are just clueless young white girls or middle aged incompetent lady.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Oh.

I think you're delusional or outdated somewhere in rural area. My company is a fortune 20. And in IT 60% is Indian, then 10% Russians. They make multiples more than business side that are just clueless young white girls or middle aged incompetent lady.

Nope, just waiting for that updated photo.

Reactions: IEC

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've posted my pic numerous times before. You never paid attention.

I just want find out why you posted a photo of that white guy as yourself when you mentioned millions of times before that you're Korean.

This is an important question that the entire AnandTech community needs an answer to.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I just want find out why you posted a photo of that white guy as yourself when you mentioned millions of times before that you're Korean.

This is an important question that the entire AnandTech community needs an answer to.

giphy.gif