How ironic...woman sentenced to prison for killing her unborn child by abusing cocaine...

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
8 or 9 years I believe...I find any killing of an unborn child sad and terrible, but I see this conviction as very odd...

sad :(:confused: (for the baby, not the woman)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Link?

Very odd though, since all she did was cause an abortion, which is quite legal.

myputer

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2001
I find this very disturbing. I watched a special on drug addicted woman, I believe it was centered in NYC. They had waiting list at every single rehab, these woman went there for help and were turned away. It would be wonderful if every mother could quit every bad habit when they got pregnant but some people just can't. I gave up my two biggest addictions when I was pregnant, cigarettes and Pepsi, and believe me I almost lost my mind!! I can not even imagine what it is like to be addicted to something like crack.

The state Supreme Court ruled in 1996 that a viable fetus is considered a child and mothers can be charged with abuse if they took drugs after their unborn child was able to live outside the womb

This is the difference with abortion. If she would have had a miscarrage within the first 12 weeks of her pregnancy from drugs that would have been fine.

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I don't think prison would be the solution for this woman. She obviously needs to be put into a rehab center and NOT prison, but unfortunately for her, it involved the death of a child so it wasn't just a drug issue.:(

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
What happens to the child that she's pregnant with now and her current children?? She really messed up their lives.:| I guess she wasn't much of a mom anyway with her crack addiction...