how interested would you guys be in this?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
How interested would you be in internet kiosks at malls, airports, hotels, etc where there is a 30 cent a minute charge?

I'd be interested...once I got over the feeling of being a big geek for checking my email while I'm at the mall. :eek:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I'm sorry, but even I need to take a break from the computer every once in a while. I don't need the temptation at a mall :)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The only I check my email on vacation is when I can do it for free. I do not get any email important enough to need to pay to read.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

They already have those..

Usually free in malls (ISP advertising)

Free in hotels (or charged to the room .. like $9 for 24 hours)

Like $1 a minute in airports

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
How interested would you be in internet kiosks at malls, airports, hotels, etc where there is a 30 cent a minute charge?

if i could plug my laptop into a broadband port... i'd be interested...

otherwise.... free dialup... $0.10 per phonecall unlimited time from hotel rool stays.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
it's not just email kids. sheesh.

i'd love it. i'd use it to check on movie times, directions, maps, i also have me pda address info on yahoo, of course there is email, i can check on my fantasy team, i could check on my stocks.

yes, i think it would be nice.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
it's not just email kids. sheesh.

i'd love it. i'd use it to check on movie times, directions, maps, i also have me pda address info on yahoo, of course there is email, i can check on my fantasy team, i could check on my stocks.

yes, i think it would be nice.

yes, this is true. They wouldnt be in just airports, malls, and hotels, BTW. If you could access one of these at any public area, would you?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
i think airports and hotels would be great...

dont they already have internet cafe's that do exactly this?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
i think airports and hotels would be great...

dont they already have internet cafe's that do exactly this?

not in this area.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
how would you monitor the computers or control permissions on them?

would block access to questionable sites?

how would your protect the comptuers from getting messed up by the users?

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

Have any of you ever been to an airport or hotel ?

Like I said abaove...They already have these (not as cheap though)

In hotels.. they are usually tied into your TV

At airports.. they are by the payphones

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i think if wireless internet was more broadly available, i'd consider getting a laptop.

-=bmacd=-

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
give reasons why you wouldnt, please. I'm interested in knowing.

Wireless web with my Sprint PCS phone now and later this year newer and much faster connections will render landline connections obsolete. A couple of years ago you may have made money starting an 'Internet Cafe' or kiosk as you have suggested but in today's climate it wold be a losing proposition. Wireless is the future.

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

they already have this in a few malls around here....When I was in London last year, they seemed to be in every mall.....Sell coffee and make it a hang-out type place.....

p0ntif

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001

I've seen
these all over the place around here. Malls, bars, etc. There are broadband ports at the airport, and every hotel that i've stayed at while out of state has had 1-3 computers for clientel usage with free internet. I have used the ones at the mall and bars and airport when they were free (not the broadband ports, but these surftables) but wouldn;t waste my time with them otherwise. I just don't go to the mall to hang out . . .if I need a movie time, I'll call in for it or look at the local paper at ABarnes and Noble or something. And at a bar, well . . . the only time i used it was in between rounds at an amateur 'no holds barred' fight night. I've nver used an internet cafe and wouldn't consider using these on a pay basis. Once wireless becomes the norm, these things will all die anyhow, kind of like payphones are doing with the emergence of widespread cell phones.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I've seen multi-computer kiosks at malls offering free service - or at least at one mall anyway. In toronto airport also there are several that you can pay a reasonable fee to use. I've used them to check email, quick internet, etc.