How indoor antenna could kill TV power supply?

ING

Jan 1, 2018
Recently I've turn on my TV and through short time I heard a loud shot, like from gun. Everything has disappeared.
I've found that power supply (PS) dead, despite the fuse and rectifier are OK.
After replacing of PS, Tv start lit with NO SIGNAL sign on the screen.
I've suspected that antenna also doesn't work. Yes with new antenna TV start working normally.
I couldn't believe that antenna could make PS broken, but today I've found next review on another kind of antenna:

Top critical review
See all 12 critical reviews
3 people found this helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars
Killed my television.
ByRhenishon November 29, 2017
So angry. We bought this antenna in hopes that it would get better reception than the indoor antenna we currently have. Connected it to the television and guess what, it shorted our tv out. We no longer have a picture. I now have a 43 inch radio.

Any ideas? How it is possible? There are no common circuits between antenna and power supply! Signal from antenna's amplifier going to motherboard which is OK!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If it is powered and shoddy, you could fry the input board of the tv.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah like I said if it is a powered antenna and it is shoddy it can short your input board and if the innards of your tv is crap it can kill the main board.
This is specially true of shielding injector type power coupled with crappy coax.

ING

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah like I said if it is a powered antenna and it is shoddy it can short your input board and if the innards of your tv is crap it can kill the main board.
This is specially true of shielding injector type power coupled with crappy coax.
Thanks for reply,
It is looks fanny but input circuits and motherboard are OK. On the power supply board rectifier and fuse also were OK. May be surge has damaged something after...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You should look at antennaweb and tvfool first to figure out what antenna you need.
Also, use 95% copper braid quad sielded rg-6 to minimise signal loss.

Last edited:

ING

Jan 1, 2018
You should look at antennaweb and tvfool first to figure out what antenna you need.
Also, use 95% copper braid quad sielded rg-6 to minimise signal loss.
You are right - I am using copper braid cable after amplifier and sending signal onto two TVs.
Unfortunately flat antenna hasn't output socket - just long cable attached directly.
It's OK, signal is good enough at now.