How has your job been affected by the economic downturn?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
They just instituted a 10% paycut across the board at my work to all salaried employees effective Jan. 2009 and likely to last the entire fiscal year.

Dec 8, 2008
No xmas party, no yearly bonus. On the upside, I'm still 100% employed so I'm happy. However, I work in the architecture/engineering industry which will likely be hit pretty hard so who knows what the future holds. I work my arse off and I think it shows so I'll most likely be ok unless the company closes or something.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Much, much smaller Christmas bonus and I had to fire someone. :thumbsdown:

KT

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
People are sucking up our low end product (dial-up connections), which everyone dumped for DSL offerings. We're doing pretty well- October was our highest sales ever.

So, too all of you people that got rid of your dialup offerings- IN YOUR FACE!!!!!

joesmoke

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2007
Well, since money is so tight the "adult" booths havent been as popular. On the other hand, ive had to do a lot less mopping...

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Mate got a 1.5% pay rise, other mate got sod all. Other mate got a sweet pay rise due to his experience and the fact he had another offer on the cards (trader support),

I've been less busy the past few weeks but before it was ramptantly busy. I should get a pay rise and bonus.

Koing

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Rumor is no bonus (wasn't expecting one having just started here anyway).

Company benefits cost more next year instead of holding off till 2010.

Everybody is worried layoffs are on the way.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
No clue yet. I work for a public school system so it all depends on how they decide to make cuts to meet the budget. There definitely won't be any raises but I will be happy as long as I have a job.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I work for a state that is in a pretty good position budget wise. The governor just put through more budget cutbacks at the last moment (last night) and completely got rid of all new funding we asked for including one position change from part to full time which worked out to about .0005% of what was cut...grrr. Additionally he cut pay increases while also saying we were doing pretty well because at least we all still had a job. While true, that ignores the fact that I get paid 25% less than the market norms in the region and because of that they have a HUGE problem attracting people and keeping those that they do.

Edit: I should add that everyone has a one year probationary period at hire, so everyone still on that is a tad worried as the state could just get rid of us with no warning.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
12% pay increase, promotion, 25% bonus.

May I ask what industry? You seem to be in the minority so far.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I'm a student...but my mom/dad are a bit more reluctant to pay for study abroad and that sort of thing. Paltry in comparison to losing a job, I know.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
They let go of 10% of our workforce, though it really hasn't affected us since most was dead weight.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I changed jobs and got a significant increase in pay. I must live so poor I can't tell it's a recession :p

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Layoffs of about 100 in N. America. My department wasn't affected.

They are forcing a portion of our staff to take vacation (using their own hours) from Dec 24 to Jan 4.

Again, it doesn't affect my dept.

ASK THE COMMUNITY