How hard is it to make money investing,trading,etc

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hehatedme

Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: 3cho
Originally posted by: hehatedme
Originally posted by: cchen
Originally posted by: stockriderman
How's forex a scam? Isn't it second to Nasdaq???

please stop asking about things you have no idea about.

hahahahahahaha, well said.

seriously, the best of the best hedgefund had 52% return, and this was back in 97-98. to turn 10k into 50k in a year, you seriously have better luck playing blackjack than investing in the market.

also one thing to keep in mind, 10k isnt a lot of money where the high return funds will come knocking on your door. in fact, it's pretty far from being enough. what you need to do is just plant your two feet solidly on the ground, take your 8-10% post fee return from a mutual fund, and be happy.

You apparently don't know much either. There are plenty of hedgefunds that have returned higher than 52% and in more recent times.

you obviously dont know which fund i was referring to, or else you would know that the reason i brought up this fund was because of the way it was run, it's strategies, and most importantly its people. i am willing to bet that there isn't a fund today that's as innovative as that fund in the haydays. so there.

I don't know which one you are talking about because you didn't name it and I can't read your mind. However, from your posts it seems you think you know more about trading than what you actually do know. There are multiple funds that have excellent people and strategies, and while 52% is excellent, it isn't some magic maximum number that cannot be achieved.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005

seriously, the best of the best hedgefund had 52% return, and this was back in 97-98. to turn 10k into 50k in a year, you seriously have better luck playing blackjack than investing in the market.

also one thing to keep in mind, 10k isnt a lot of money where the high return funds will come knocking on your door. in fact, it's pretty far from being enough. what you need to do is just plant your two feet solidly on the ground, take your 8-10% post fee return from a mutual fund, and be happy.

You apparently don't know much either. There are plenty of hedgefunds that have returned higher than 52% and in more recent times.

you obviously dont know which fund i was referring to, or else you would know that the reason i brought up this fund was because of the way it was run, it's strategies, and most importantly its people. i am willing to bet that there isn't a fund today that's as innovative as that fund in the haydays. so there.

I don't know which one you are talking about because you didn't name it and I can't read your mind. However, from your posts it seems you think you know more about trading than what you actually do know. There are multiple funds that have excellent people and strategies, and while 52% is excellent, it isn't some magic maximum number that cannot be achieved.

well, i gave you the growth rate, the time frame, if you dont know which fund i am talking about, you are clearly just some noob who either just entered the industry, or someone who wants to enter the industry.

hehatedme

Jul 10, 2005

well, i gave you the growth rate, the time frame, if you dont know which fund i am talking about, you are clearly just some noob who either just entered the industry, or someone who wants to enter the industry.

Just because you know some stats about some funds you wish you could work for doesn't make you someone that knows anything about trading. Anyone can pick up an article from a magazine learn what you know about trading. So you should stop giving out advice like you know what you are talking about. By the way, I am not a "noob" and I am doing just fine in the industry.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: ahurtt

3) Only tax deferred. . .you never really have as much money as it looks like you do because you are going to pay tax on it when you need to withdraw it.

There are Roth 401k's now.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005

Just because you know some stats about some funds you wish you could work for doesn't make you someone that knows anything about trading. Anyone can pick up an article from a magazine learn what you know about trading. So you should stop giving out advice like you know what you are talking about. By the way, I am not a "noob" and I am doing just fine in the industry.

right, i hope those back office tasks are treating you real well. dont forget to get out once in awhile to see some sunlight. if you didnt even know the fund i was talking about, perhaps the most famous fund in history, then you are just some 2-bit schmuck from a 4th tier shop.

DarkKnight69

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2005
I was looking at a Canadian equity fund through TD Canada Trust that is focised mostly on the booming energy sector. You can expect to see close to a 50% over 5 year period, or 10% per year average...

hehatedme

Jul 10, 2005

right, i hope those back office tasks are treating you real well. dont forget to get out once in awhile to see some sunlight. if you didnt even know the fund i was talking about, perhaps the most famous fund in history, then you are just some 2-bit schmuck from a 4th tier shop.

I am willing to bet you are an analyst at big bank or botique firm who thinks he is a bad ass cause you make 80k a year plus bonus (or am I being to generous there?). Admit that you don't know jack about trading because you aren't a trader. On the other hand I actually happen to be a trader, not the back office schmuck you are making me out to be. My whole point is that you believe you have some credibility because you can name a hedge fund. You don't know the first thing about trading and shouldn't be giving out advice, let alone discussing the subject like you have been. By the way I do get out enough because unlike you, I don't have to spend 80 hours a week with my lips glued to an associates ass while I scroll through an excel model doing a job that a monkey with brain damage can do.