How good is the Rage MAXX?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It now costs $84.00 after the $50 rebate.

I have a Rage Fury 32. It's ok, I had it for a year but want something better. Will I see that big of a difference? Will it hold me until the next gen as a cheap upgrade?

I run Win98SE, so no prob using the MAXXs

RicePudding

Jun 25, 2000
what type of applications would you be running on it??? if you intend to play games and such i would reccomend a Voodoo 3, or maybe a Geforce 2 mx which is around 120, they are both much faster in general than the Maxx, in order to get decent performance you need a very fast processor like an 800 or above and even then its not that spectacular...

hope this was of some help...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I have a P3 600E at 800Mhz. My Rage Fury 32 does best at 800x600 and 32 bit color. I would like to play at 1024x768 and 32 bit color.

I play mostly games - Half-Life and MDK2. DVD is nice but not necessary.

Thanks for your replies.

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
I'd either get a GF DDR as they have droped quite a bit in price since the arival of the GF2. However, if you can put up with your ATI for a bit longer, perhaps it would be better to consider the upcoming crop of video cards such as Radeon (ATI) or the NV20.

I'm waiting for the NV20.

:)

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Personally, i wouldn't recommend the MAXX, because it's gaming performance simply isn't upto scratch. You'd be better off going for something like a Geforce SDR or DDR, if you can financially stretch that little bit further.

Personally, I'm holding onto my Voodoo 3 for a few more months - and I'm probably skipping the current GTS/Voodoo 5 generation all-together.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Well, I just can't affort the best ($220 plus dollars). The MAXX is only $84 and I really want to know if it is significantly better than my Rage Fury 32 (It is basically 2 Rage cards in one).

According to AnandTech's review the MAXX edged out the GeForce SDR.

I am just desperate for something better than my Fury - I know I will have to wait about 6 months till prices come within my range for Nex Gen.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The MAXX is a very good card... As long as you don't play 3d shooters. It's got this little thing where if the polygon count drops below x, it switches to single processor mode. Not really a big deal, but when it goes back above x, the processor switches back on. Again, not a big deal. There is a lag, though, when the processor switches back on. Big deal. This card sucks in UT.

But, I got ATi to switch it for a Rage Fury Pro with video in and video out. Great card.

wake

Oct 9, 1999
My fps in q3 actually goes from 160 standing still to under 70 while fighting. There are some problems with this card. Read the reactorcritical.com review for more info. I purchased it last month, but I'll sell soon and buy a G800 or a fast affordable Nvidia product.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I read 6 of 7 positive reviews on the Maxx. ReactorCritical was critical of it and found some issues with it the other reviews didn't mention.

Anyway, thanks for your help. It now looks like - instead of the Maxx - I am getting an Asus v6600 Pure Geforce 256.

(It was a trade. I am cheap but NEED a new card. This should be a 6 month upgrade).

vinayag

Apr 21, 2000
I would recomend the Matrox G400 OEM version for $130. It is great for games visually and speed wise and is fantastic for TV output and DVD !!! Once you get the Matrox, I doubt if you will go back to any other card !!!

stuman74

Oct 26, 1999
I have a MAXX and, in my opinion, it is better than my old Voodoo3 3000 AGP was in all games and especially DVD. I have never seen clearer DVD playback than on that card (I would assume any of the Rage Pro 128's). Nowadays, I think all of their basic Windows desktop characteristics (sharpness, high refresh) are all the same. I am disappointed however that there is no driver support for Windows 2000. But I don't know what would be a better card right now to move up to.

jer35

Jun 18, 2000
I like the Maxx. It can do most of your gaming requirements along with the applications...the only beef I have with it is it doesn't like the Asus P3V4X!!

Jethro Bodine

Nov 28, 1999
I had a MAXX for a few days, that was enough.
1. Had strange texture distortions when moving in D3d, UT
2. Seemed fairly fast in Q3, but the movement was kind of jerky
3. Played Kingpin pretty well

I wanted to like that card a lot, but it was a tremendous letdown compared to 64MB Prophet 2 (yeah, I know, duh) but more importantly it wasn't as good as the SDR I used to have. I'm back on Prophet2.