How good is the built-in Battery Saver with Windows 10?

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I'm looking to buy a laptop and want to utilize the Battery Saver in Windows 10, is it any good? Should I look for after market apps?

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I'm looking to buy a laptop and want to utilize the Battery Saver in Windows 10, is it any good? Should I look for after market apps?

It's hype. So does any application that claims to increase battery life.

The best it can do is limit applications that may be behaving erratically. Similar kind of software exist on Tablets. I have an Android Tablet, and an Ultrabook that has Windows 10 installed(came with Win 8). No matter what I do, there's no way I can get my Ultrabook to be competitive in battery life with newer laptops.

Proper drivers and firmware updates can potentially make a difference, but as users we have no control over that. And there's almost nothing we can do about poor hardware choice by the manufacturer. If you want better battery life out of your mobile devices, turn the screen down to the minimum level you find acceptable. Limit usage of applications that demand high CPU/GPU load.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
What Ultrabook and what kind of battery life are you getting? I am looking for a SB or IB ultrabook and I thought 2 hours was pretty average, but it seems most used notebooks don't even get 1 hr 30 minutes.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Software and Apps that claim to extend Battery charge Time might male people Fell better but functionally they are not really doing anything significant, they are like placebo Meds.

Set Windows Power Options under Battery to minimum Brightness that you are compatible with.

When working close all Apps/Programs that you are not using at the moment (i.e. do nor let them linger in the background).

When on Battery put the Laptop to sleep after few minutes of Not using it.

If the Laptop still run on HD replace it with SSD.

Go to Win 10 go to Settings/Privacy/Background apps, Switch off all the Apps that you do not use constantly to Off. Apps that are turning off can run when you need them but they would linger out of sight consuming Power.

:cool:

Reactions: jana519

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Software and Apps that claim to extend Battery charge Time might male people Fell better but functionally they are not really doing anything significant, they are like placebo Meds.

Set Windows Power Options under Battery to minimum Brightness that you are compatible with.

When working close all Apps/Programs that you are not using at the moment (i.e. do nor let them linger in the background).

When on Battery put the Laptop to sleep after few minutes of Not using it.

If the Laptop still run on HD replace it with SSD.

Go to Win 10 go to Settings/Privacy/Background apps, Switch off all the Apps that you do not use constantly to Off. Apps that are turning off can run when you need them but they would linger out of sight consuming Power.

:cool:

The thing I want is a notification message that tells me when the battery is 20% or less. NOT a pop-up message that I can't see, but a hard window that says "Battery Low" and I can see when gaming. I have a bad habit of ignoring the pop-up battery notification because it's too small. Then running down the battery to 5% which can actually strain the battery and reduce it's lifespan.