How good is Suzuki's rep for reliability and warranty work?

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Here is the reason I ask.

About 7 months ago I bought a used Suzuki Aerio with 75k on it for $8,000. At first I loved the car, it ran great and I thought I got the best deal ever.

WRONG.

Soon after that, it was one problem right after the other. Rough idle, grinding sound when first started and sometimes stalls when first started, from a dead stop if I give it too much gas the engine will bog (real fun when trying to merge onto a busy street), O2 sensor went out (not a big deal, just annoying), CEL is always coming on and now the transmission is randomly down-sifting to 3rd when it's cold out. All that and I haven't even hit 80k yet.

I got the O2 sensor replaced but that didn't solve the idle or grinding problem. Took it into a local dealership and they couldn't reproduce the sound or the rough idle and gave some BS reason for the CEL light. The Stalling, bogging and transmission problems are new and I'm going to have that looked at soon and can't wait to hear what they tell me. I hoping that what ever it is will be covered under the 7yr. 100K mile warranty but from what I hear, you have to twist their arms and prove to them that the part is covered.

And that brings me back the the original question. I'm getting mixed messages about this, some people say they have no problems with their car (some lasting over 200k miles) and when they do Suzuki will fix it no problems. Others the damn thing blows up and they won't even look at it until you can prove that you had been changing the oil every 3k for the life of the car, that can be allot of receipts.

And as stupid as it sounds, I'm thinking of selling/trading my Aerio and getting the new Suzuki SX4. It has every thing I want out of a car and isn't too much for what you get. But no matter how much I like about the car, I'm extremely hesitant to buy a car from a company that I have had issues with and others have.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer I'm going to get but I felt like asking anyway.

That and I have nothing better to do right now.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
My GF's 2005 Forenza had a similar problem with the CEL. Her problem ended up being that the gas cap wasn't sealing properly. Other than that, it has a crappy transmission and even worse throttle response - but for $9k OTD brand new, it's not terribly unexpected. It's livable and serves her needs fine, but I would never buy one.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I have no personal experience, but in your case, it's possible that the car was abused during its first 75k miles of life, resulting in the problems you're seeing now.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Thats what I thought also. Maybe it was fixed up enough to sell, or for me it seemed fine but the original owner noticed it was acting funny and decided it was time to get a new car.

ebeattie

May 22, 2005
Id say try a different dealer. Try calling Suzuki and see if they can help. i know they are trying to expand their market share here in the states, and Im sure that helping out you and your problems with the car would/could be good exposure for them on a grassroots level.

As far as the service goes, sometimes the problem cant always be replicated at the dealer. The more information you can provide to the service advisor about whats happening/ when it happens/what conditions are like with the car when it starts to act up when you bring you car in will help the technician ten fold! Trust me, I get a customer's car that says there's a noise in the front, I wanna kill something! I have no idea what the hell it is Im looking for and take valuable time dicking around just to FIND whats going on, let alone properly diagnosing the car.

There is no such thing as too much information to a tech!

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
The trans and grinding only happen in the cold and the rough idle is all the time (except when it's in the shop of course) and the other stuff just happens whenever the heck it wants.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't care what make of car it is, stealers... errr dealers will rip you off. Shoddy work for high prices in my experience. Talk to friends and family and find a reputable mechanic.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
There's no way in hell I'd buy a Suzuki car.

I have a Vitara bought brand new in 2002, never had a problem with it and will buy a Suzuki again. I will never buy GM/Ford products.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
you got RAPED on that car.

as Car and Driver says: Suzuki makes amazing motorcycles and horrible cars.