How good is component outputs?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've been wanting to upgrade my htpc from an EPIA board, looking at a Sempron with a GeForce 6100 board that has component outputs. The tv has just one set of component inputs and can only support 480p, but that's still better than s-video. But to do so I'll be unhooking the dvd player.

So, that's the real question is, are the new computers with component outputs as good in quality as a stand-alone dvd player yet? The last thing I want to do is buy a new system, find out it's worse quality, then spend a lot of time reconnecting different cables each time I want to play something off the other device. I'd probably be using nVidia's dvd software.

thatbox

Dec 5, 2002
I'd imagine it would simply depend on the quality of the DVD player and the quality of the PC software.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: thatbox
I'd imagine it would simply depend on the quality of the DVD player and the quality of the PC software.
And the quality of the tv output on the computer. That's what I'd like to find out, if anyone here has the best hardware and can say if the picture & sound is as good as a top-line dvd player.

I want to upgrade my htpc, but I'm waiting for when the hardware is good enough that I can ditch the stand-alone dvd player at the same time and not have any regrets over doing it.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: cubby1223
I've been wanting to upgrade my htpc from an EPIA board, looking at a Sempron with a GeForce 6100 board that has component outputs. The tv has just one set of component inputs and can only support 480p, but that's still better than s-video. But to do so I'll be unhooking the dvd player.

So, that's the real question is, are the new computers with component outputs as good in quality as a stand-alone dvd player yet? The last thing I want to do is buy a new system, find out it's worse quality, then spend a lot of time reconnecting different cables each time I want to play something off the other device. I'd probably be using nVidia's dvd software.

The component out on my ATI card was pretty poor. Only supported 480i, and was only marginally better than svideo.
If your TV has an HDMI input, I'd recommend getting a DVI to HDMI cable and using that.