How good is ASUS V8200 DELUXE RETAIL for capturing?

Gandu

May 13, 2001
I am interested in converting some of my VHS collection to DivX so I was wondering which capture card to get. I saw the new Asus GeForce 3 Deluxe card and it has the TV In function. How good is its capture capability? Will it beat ATI AIW sollution or atleast tie it? Any input welcome :D

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
As far as I know the Radeon is the only one (among the low end capture cards) that does hardware accelerated encoding while doing captures, as an ex Deluxe owner to my knowledge Asus still uses a low end capture chip that does the encoding at the software level.

My opinion is that the capture quality is better on the Radeon for the above mention reasons. For the life of me I can't find the website that did the review on the capture aspects of the radeon that would show the difference. I'm not saying that the Dlx is junk but between the two, the radeon is better. IMO.

vlieps

Jun 15, 2000
Do You know how much those hardware video capture cards from pinnacle systems cost?...a lot.
And also the system requirements are quite high. Basically a fast HDD is needed, best SCSI.

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>know how much those hardware video capture cards from pinnacle systems cost?

Like I said you need to make a decision on price/quality/performance you're the only one who can judge what you want.

>Basically a fast HDD is needed, best SCSI.

true, at least UDMA 5

Gandu

May 13, 2001
Thanks for you support guys, I guess I will just go for ATI based card, since I also hear nice things about them from other people.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000

<< and a 3d card devoted solely to 3d like an elsa or visiontek >>

I thought the old Voodoo cards were the ones that did &quot;soley 3D&quot; why would you want that with a Pinnacle capture card?