How good do you have it (at your job)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Gotta love the Silicon Valley working environment:

Free snacks, sodas, jerky, cereal, fresh fruit, sparkling water, gourmet coffee, red bull.
Bagel Wednesdays
once a month free lunch
free concerts every few months on-site

ThinkPad 410S I5

15 PTO - 20 at 2yrs - 25 at 5yrs and good holiday schedule
great stock options

But - all that aside - I like my boss and believe in our company and that means a lot!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Fairly decent right now(salary is decent, benefits not so good), should improve when the profit sharing kicks in next year.Sharing an office right, will get my own when the new office opens. Free drinks and snacks. Should be able to start telecommuting some in the near future as well.

Things were really good when I was contractor(excellent pay and good bennies) and then sucked real back when I got in-sourced to civil service(horrible pay good bennies).

Started a side job teaching. First courses are hard as there is much prepwork to do, but after that the workload dropped significantly. Of course I have not had the chance to do the same class twice yet.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Man... starting to become envious at some of these.

I am at my first job out of college. It's a tv studio, I'm the data manager and odd-jobs handler. I have a low salary... it's not even salary really, I'm contracting. The work varies a lot depending on deadlines.

Now that I've been there a few months and they've figured out that I work hard and do things right, they've started to unload jobs on me and getting lazy. People come and stop me while I'm editing to ask me where things are without looking first, even though files and photos get sorted to all the usual places, clearly labeled. I feel kinda burned being that I interned with them for almost no pay (enough weekly for gas) and didn't actually hired, but I guess they didn't want to take on employees and have to fire them if some of the shows didn't pan out and they didn't make enough money.

Honestly, I'd like to hear more about some of the jobs people are describing on here. I'm a smart person, I can learn just about anything you throw at me, though I'll be a little slow on the uptake if you want me to do astrophysics, but I can do it.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Major stress but I try not to show it. My job is keeping good people working and I'd feel terrible if I can't do that. Sometimes when business is slow I have them do work for me at the house. For example my administrative assistant hosted a party prepared all invites and such.

I used to work for a fortune 500, lockheed, and it was ezpz.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Man... starting to become envious at some of these.

I am at my first job out of college. It's a tv studio, I'm the data manager and odd-jobs handler. I have a low salary... it's not even salary really, I'm contracting. The work varies a lot depending on deadlines.

Now that I've been there a few months and they've figured out that I work hard and do things right, they've started to unload jobs on me and getting lazy. People come and stop me while I'm editing to ask me where things are without looking first, even though files and photos get sorted to all the usual places, clearly labeled. I feel kinda burned being that I interned with them for almost no pay (enough weekly for gas) and didn't actually hired, but I guess they didn't want to take on employees and have to fire them if some of the shows didn't pan out and they didn't make enough money.

Honestly, I'd like to hear more about some of the jobs people are describing on here. I'm a smart person, I can learn just about anything you throw at me, though I'll be a little slow on the uptake if you want me to do astrophysics, but I can do it.

work hard and gain experience. You will either get recognized and promoted or you will take a new job somewhere else.

I have been doing computer simulations for about the past 10 years.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I work as an IT Consultant and specialize in VMware, EMC storage, and Cisco UCS servers. Satisfaction with my current job is 10x higher than any feelings of satisfaction I've had at all previous jobs combined.

I won't go into details but I'm treated very, very well.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Gotta love the Silicon Valley working environment:

Free snacks, sodas, jerky, cereal, fresh fruit, sparkling water, gourmet coffee, red bull.
Bagel Wednesdays
once a month free lunch
free concerts every few months on-site

ThinkPad 410S I5

15 PTO - 20 at 2yrs - 25 at 5yrs and good holiday schedule
great stock options

But - all that aside - I like my boss and believe in our company and that means a lot!

how many hours they make you work?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
My wife and I are both engineers for the same company, we are 27 and are in the 28% tax bracket, in a very low cost of living area and we both just got 12% raises. 401K match of 5.5%. I negotiated 3 weeks of vacation starting out. Very good health care. Pretty good work environment, as long as you don't mind cussing. Because of how engineers are utilized at my company I get to deal with everyone from the lowest man on the totem pole to Senior VPs on a weekly basis (company of 65K).

Best benefits: Comp time (man I love this), insanely great travel benefits, massive discounts on travel products (I went on a cruise earlier this year for 35% of the sticker price and then got a free upgrade to a suite with a company discount only available to people in my industry), I get to work at an airport and see F-16 flying almost everyday. Really I get excellent discounts everywhere, no other company I know about even comes close.

The job can be very stressful at times, though, and a bad decision could have pretty severe consequences.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
My wife and I are both engineers for the same company, we are 27 and are in the 28% tax bracket, in a very low cost of living area and we both just got 12% raises. 401K match of 5.5%. I negotiated 3 weeks of vacation starting out. Very good health care. Pretty good work environment, as long as you don't mind cussing. Because of how engineers are utilized at my company I get to deal with everyone from the lowest man on the totem pole to Senior VPs on a weekly basis (company of 65K).

Best benefits: Comp time (man I love this), insanely great travel benefits, massive discounts on travel products (I went on a cruise earlier this year for 35% of the sticker price and then got a free upgrade to a suite with a company discount only available to people in my industry), I get to work at an airport and see F-16 flying almost everyday. Really I get excellent discounts everywhere, no other company I know about even comes close.

The job can be very stressful at times, though, and a bad decision could have pretty severe consequences.

There is a catch everywhere.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i'd say my job is pretty good in terms of pay/benefits/flexibility.

there can be some room for technical growth, but if you stay there forever without delving into any research, there are limitations that i don't like the look of, so i'm trying to do a fair amount of research.

the paperwork side of things isn't always interesting (usually you just look at what we've done in this past and do the same thing) but sometimes it can actually be pretty cool.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am very, very fortunate to have the job I do (Systems Admin at a private uni). I get paid well, I have excellent benefits, and the job security is second to none. I have 4 weeks of vacation saved up (max is 6 weeks), and 6 months of sick leave. I get to work on interesting projects, and there's always something new going on. I will likely retire from this job, and that's perfectly OK with me. Only 20 more years to go! :D

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Have been @ a fortune 500 but now at a startup. 15hrs/vaca/month worked (~5 weeks/yr?) flexible hours can come and go as desired (usually in office by 9 leave after 3), work @ home possible but usually need to collaborate with colleagues (have used that to travel for a month while working part-time). Paid days off now and then @ bosses disgression (in addition to vacation time).
Iphone, ipad after a 4 mo. project completed. Good pay (for the area). No dress code whatsoever. No strict policies on anything.

Previous job was full of bureaucracy, policies, politics, dress codes, etc. although they did give free lunches, paid days off now and then.

@software engineering

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
I work in the marketing dept at a fortune 500.
I feel like I have it pretty lucky.

Great salary + 10k/yr bonus split up and paid quarterly. I get 7% annual raise unless I fuck up which I never have. Most years I've also gotten promoted but at the level I am now, that won't happen very often anymore.

Matching 401k up to the limit
5 weeks paid vaca
12 sick days per year that roll over
Great insurance, dental, eye
They bought my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.
We have free snacks, coffee, soda, cereal, etc.
I get to travel to a conference at a ski resort in Park City, UT in the winter. And one in Miami Beach at Fountain Bleu in the summer + other travel throughout the year but sometimes that gets old.

There's been a lot of layoffs recently but my job is safe.

My wife works at the same company as a telecom engineer. She doesn't travel or get a bonus but otherwise everything is very similar

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
it's actually pretty good. flexible hours, casual environment, interesting work, good pay with good bonus, no politics. downside is that it can pretty damn stressful at times, but at least you don't have to be overworked if you don't let yourself be overworked. (software engineer)

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
PROS: I have a nice salary, ungodly benefits, work for an awesome company that most would kill to work for, and the perks are out of this world and alone would be worth several thousand a year.

CONS: I could make more money as a consultant and I have been debating going that route for quite some time. This job is also really stressful at times (mainly this time of year) but I am not sure if consulting would be more stressful or not.

You've been kicking this idea around for almost a year now, I'm curious to see what you ultimately decide, please keep us posted.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Love the job, love most of the patients, can get a bit busy (up to 45 patients/12 hr day)
Hate the politics, hate having my hands tied up by admin that have never done the job.
Hate having to fight to get my patients the care they deserve.
Need more guys, working too many shifts/month.
Money could be better (compared with other facilities), too much admin overhead.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
I own my own company so I dont get any "benefits" other than I get complete control over everything. Make a ton of money, and Im usually home by noon unless Im on call.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
i own my own company (basically a weekend/after hours job, i run a little IT consulting/computer repair service in my small town, (30,000 pop), and i recently got a very, very, nice position for a very large college text book distribution/franchise book store company.... as of right now, it's a crazy job, i do shipping/receiving, it's a job... but it pays, very, very nice..) gotta be on my toes all the time though...long hours, high stress, big paycheck, excellent benefits...

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Another company owner/consultant here. I make excellent money. Very highly regarded in my field. I work from home, so I can go on a week without ever leaving the door. Free to do as I please. It's been going on like that for few years now and I'm starting to lose touch with reality. Outside of visiting my customers every now and then, I completely forgot what it's like to have a 'real' job. I vaguely remember I used to hate waking up in the morning thinking I should go to the god damn office. I have it too good, probably.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My current job is average. Capped at 60k doing level 3 server support work for a hospital.

I will have it really good once they finally move me to my new position. I'll be working at a NOC for the same salary, but more hours, and shift work, so I'll have more time to myself. Will be awesome. I'll probably pickup a side project with my spare time, like code a game or something. Extra cash.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My company allows for 88% of the base salary for 4 days of work (instead of the usual 5 Mon-Fri). I took it and work Mon-Thurs now. Liking it so far. They also offer 100% tuition reimbursement which I may eventually take advantage of later.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nice, having 3 day weekends all the time would be pretty sweet. I had a summer job like that when I was a student. It was 10 hour shifts, but got Friday off. Was awesome. I could actually go camping and stuff.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I'm a contractor so I don't have it as good as the average worker, however my salary is well compensated.