How frequently does your furnace run?

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Okay, a little background. I moved into this house in July so this is the first winter I've spent here. I'm going through the process of getting it ready for winter. Problem is this is a much larger house than I had before with alot more open space so I have no idea what's reasonable in terms of how frequently the furnace operates. So...if you live in a house between say 2300 and 2600 square feet with 2-story foryers or cathedral ceilings, etc...could you answer the following set of questions?

1) How big is your house?
2) Where do you live? Geographic region is fine.
3) How many furnaces do you have? Are they gas or electric or something else?
4) What are your thermostat settings?
5) If, say, the outside temperature is 40 deg F, how often does your furnace run?
6) If, say, the outside temperature is 30 deg F, how often does it run?

Thanks guys.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Zorro
I am from Florida what is this thing called a furnace????

Why should I tell you anything when you won't even activate your profile so that the rest of us will know what part of the country you live in?

BTW, my heater runs, on average, 15 days/nights/yr.

Edit: I hit the wrong quote.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
1) How big is your house? 1700 sq ft
2) Where do you live? Geographic region is fine. Illinois
3) How many furnaces do you have? Are they gas or electric or something else? 1 gas
4) What are your thermostat settings? 72 degrees 24/7
5) If, say, the outside temperature is 40 deg F, how often does your furnace run? 4-5 hrs a day in 15-20 minute increments
6) If, say, the outside temperature is 30 deg F, how often does it run? don't know yet. new furnace this year, and no 30 degree spells yet

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Computers provide enough heat into November. Of course we're not having typical winters. When it gets cold, the Espar diesel is fired and the chill is KO'd immediately! MMM the smell of HOT plate exchangers. Definitely a sign that jack frost is nipping at your hatches! :Q

Cheers!

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Whats a furnace? (honestly)

I'm from Southern California. When I think of furnance I think of those big old iron things w/ fire inside (kinda like those old school coal train engines.