How fast should XMS PC2700 be able to run? Edit:?????

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
It seems like I can only run mine at 170-175mhz, we havent turned on our air conditioner yet, but its only about 74º in here. I thought XMS was susposed to be good overclocking memory. I'm going to add a couple of fans to blow directaly at it in a couple of days. Hopefuly that helps.

Edit: if I push the FSB above 183mhz (not that it will boot that high) the memory clocks itself down to 153mhz??? Any ideas why?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
IIRC, your system was running a bit warm, so maybe the RAM was not getting cooled properly. Also, you might need to increase timings as the FSB increases, because (IME) the faster the RAM goes, the slower your timings generally can be. Are you sure your memory is the limiting factor? Have you tried higher FSB with lower multiplier, and have you run Memtest86 to see if you can isolate the problem to the memory?

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
I should not have opened this thread as I was hoping that the memory would help solve my slow production on SoB. :(
Hope it's not money down the tube :(:|

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
32 miles per hour

;)
j/k
That sounds about how fast a module of Corsair XMS PC2700 would go if you put it in the car with my mom when she was driving in the 55mph zone on the highway.

(j/k, she usually only does 5 to 10 mph under the limit) ;)

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: jliechty
IIRC, your system was running a bit warm, so maybe the RAM was not getting cooled properly. Also, you might need to increase timings as the FSB increases, because (IME) the faster the RAM goes, the slower your timings generally can be. Are you sure your memory is the limiting factor? Have you tried higher FSB with lower multiplier, and have you run Memtest86 to see if you can isolate the problem to the memory?

I'll mess around with it a bit more. Hopefuly once I get my fans mounted, I can get it to run around 190mhz. There is almost no air movement around my case so thats probably the problem.
Of course as you said it might be the northbridge which runs very hot, but either way fans will solve that.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
The SPD settings of the RAM will be telling the motherboard it should be running at 166. Therefore, when it gets higher (above 183 in your case) the motherboard will knock the RAM down to the speed it thinks it should be doing. Set the SPD to Manual/Disabled (so you can enter your own speeds) and see if it can do those kind of speeds :)

Garry

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Confused
The SPD settings of the RAM will be telling the motherboard it should be running at 166. Therefore, when it gets higher (above 183 in your case) the motherboard will knock the RAM down to the speed it thinks it should be doing. Set the SPD to Manual/Disabled (so you can enter your own speeds) and see if it can do those kind of speeds :)

Garry

YES....turn off SPD in BIOS.

titanmiller

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Confused

Garry

Thanks Garry,
all of you guys are very helpful, when It comes time for my next system It'll be clear sailing...at least I hope.