Question How fast is your browser?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
For the most part, the speed of your browser performance is dependent on the download speed of Internet service provider and your type of router setup! Direct modem to 2.5Gb Ethernet line is the best! If you have opportunity to go to use a large university’s, big corporate 100s, or Pentagon’s DOD internet browser. It is instantaneous!

I upgraded to a Linksys mesh two node router Wi-Fi 6 two years ago and easily double my download speed. I only have a 140MBS DNS line and it really close 80-100MBS speed now. Before my upgrade, I was getting 35-55MBS speed!

Last edited:

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
For the most part, the speed of your browser performance is dependent on the download speed of Internet service provider and your type of router setup! Direct modem to 2.5Gb Ethernet line is the best! If you have opportunity to go to use a large university’s, big corporate 100s, or Pentagon’s DOD internet browser. It is instantaneous!

I upgraded to a Linksys mesh two node router Wi-Fi 6 two years ago and easily double my download speed. I only have a 140MBS DNS line and it really close 80-100MBS speed now. Before my upgrade, I was getting 35-55MBS speed!
The fastest internet provider (consumer) that I know of is one gig service. Simply use that service for the fastest consumer speed. I could have it for $60 a month, and its fiber optic from my house all the way to the internet, but I don't need that.

Doug S

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2020

Not really, above a certain threshold which is well below 1 gigabit it doesn't matter - because even if you have 1 gigabit service at home you don't have that 1 gigabit dedicated to you along the full path to the web servers you are hitting (and even loading a single page will usually hit multiple servers located along different paths)

This benchmark is intended to show how fast a given browser/OS/hardware combo renders pages, executes Javascript etc. independently of how fast the network is. Obviously if you are stuck behind a 1.5 Mbps DSL line then you'll get worse performance with the above M2 Macbook Air than you would behind gigabit fiber with a Windows 7 PC running 2009 era software.

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Not really, above a certain threshold which is well below 1 gigabit it doesn't matter - because even if you have 1 gigabit service at home you don't have that 1 gigabit dedicated to you along the full path to the web servers you are hitting (and even loading a single page will usually hit multiple servers located along different paths)

This benchmark is intended to show how fast a given browser/OS/hardware combo renders pages, executes Javascript etc. independently of how fast the network is. Obviously if you are stuck behind a 1.5 Mbps DSL line then you'll get worse performance with the above M2 Macbook Air than you would behind gigabit fiber with a Windows 7 PC running 2009 era software.
Well, in the case of Ziply Fiber (used to be Frontier), the fiber goes from the side of the house all the way to the hub. I doubt seriously that the speed is less than a gig anywhere from that hub to the web servers in this day and age. Now this network is only in parts of the US, and I have no idea about the rest of the world, but in these regions, its all fiber. The bandwidth is so high in these regions, its insane.

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
Should one run this test on its own or with other tabs open in the browser?
I'm inclined to run it with other tabs active so as to get a more accurate result for real world implications.

igor_kavinski

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2020
NUC with Intel i5-1135G7 @ 2.4GHz (boost to 4.2GHz) running Chrome v107.0.5304.88
View attachment 70510
I got the same score on an i5-1235U with HT disabled on battery power!

ASK THE COMMUNITY