How fast is too fast?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Is there a way to find out what is the maximum safe speed for a car, taking into account tires, and aerodynamics and such?

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
just follow the speed limit. at least then u won't have to worry about speeding tickets :p

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Ummmm, until you can't control your car. It depends on so many different factors that there is no set speed.

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
fast is too fast when you cant brake in time from hitting anything in front of you

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
no, I mean technically I could control it, but I was kinda worried about the tires, you know like blowing out and flipping.

Also there were no cars on the road, it is 2 am, and this is a long straight stretch of interstate, my main concern is the tires.

dionx

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
fast is also too fast if you cant complete a turn or curve without deviating from the path intended

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: DaiShan
are many stock tires z rated? how can I tell if mine are?

The rating is on the tire itself :)

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've hit 125 with no problems on my SP Sport A2s from Dunlop. They're H rated though, 130mph. I usually drive around 85-90 though..

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
can anyone tell me if it is safe to use the tires I mentioned at speeds around 140?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
So you think there is a good chance that they can tear apart or something? (I don't think I would want tire separation at that speed)

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
I still don't know what the speed rating for the tires is. The 'R' just stands for radial. Keep looking on the tire. Also, what kind of car is it?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I will check again when it is light outside, maybe I missed something with the flashlight, it is an accord v6 btw (I know I know, but really I just want to know if there is a chance the tires will explode on me) Also the more you do it, does it wear the tires down more?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Posted speed limit. If the safety of your ride is in question fault on the side of safety and get it to a dealer so a safety inspection can be done......ok???

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I know what you are saying IGBT I see too many junkers driving down the interstate with parts falling off, my car is is good shape, never missed a maintenance, I am more concerned about the maximum for it under the best conditions.

Oneiric

Mar 13, 2002
I sorta wish we had autobahns here in america like in germany. I go there every summer and they drive so fast its crazy. I mean multiple times the person I have been driving with has hit 180 kmph.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
I will check again when it is light outside, maybe I missed something with the flashlight, it is an accord v6 btw (I know I know, but really I just want to know if there is a chance the tires will explode on me) Also the more you do it, does it wear the tires down more?

Umm...no offense, but I seriously doubt if it will get close to 140. Especially if it's stock. Manufacturers usually will put tires that have speed ratings appropriate to what the car is capable of or in most cases limited to. If the limiter is set to 130, then H (rated at 130) rated tires are used. Even if you can, I would not recommend exceeding the speed rating for the tire, unless they are high-performance to begin with and you only do it under certain circumstances. The speed rating is really a measure of the tire's ability to dissipate heat. My tire's are H-rated (Comp T/A's), and I wouldn't have a problem doing 140-150 on them for a short period of time on a cool day. I wouldn't try that on tires from Wal-Mart, though.

Oneiric

Mar 13, 2002
just as I sent my last message I realized I forgot to say how great the cars are in germany as well. Everyone can afford a Mercedes there because its manufactured there. VW's are still the cheapest but who cares I just got a jetta myself and they are soooo beatiful. Run just like the real deal Audi.