How far out of my way should I go before declaring this memory mine?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The story (so you know what I've been through up until now):

I have 2 2x2 GB kits of DDR2 from a memory manufacturer who shall remain nameless. Total of 8 GB in 4 modules.

Two of the 4 modules failed, I sent them in for RMA.

Week & a half later I have a package waiting for me at FedEx. Unfortunately they shipped it signature required so I had to drive 1/2 hour each way to go get it (can't re-direct to my work, & can't be home to get it...). I pick it up, & it's a single 2 GB module (1/2 of what I sent in). I call their RMA department, they're going to send me another module. Unfortunately their stock is in lockdown for inventory so it will be a day or two before they can ship. No problem, I provide my work address so I don't have to drive to pick it up.

Another week goes by & I haven't heard anything, so I call them again. Nothing has shipped. I explain I'm going to be headed out of town so it needs to ship ASAP if it's going to get to me before I leave. They say no problem, I should have it tomorrow. An hour later I get an e-mail saying they're shipping me a 2 GB kit (2x1 GB). I called them again, they say it's too late to ship that day which makes it too late to get it before my trip. They agree to cancel the 2x1 GB shipment, & I'll call them in two weeks when I'm back in town to get a 2nd 2 GB module.

A few days later when I'm 8,000 miles away I get a call from the g/f. She picked up a FedEx package for me (the 1/2 hour each way drive again)... Sure enough it's the 2 GB kit. So if you're keeping score I now have 1 2 GB module and 1 2 GB kit, but no 4 GB kit.

I get back, I call them yet again. I explain the situation, they say they'll send me a shipping label for everything I've received thus far. Once they receive the kit + module back they'll send me a 4 GB kit. Annoying, but I didn't feel like arguing. Once again I verify that they're shipping to my work address so that I don't have to drive. Three days later I have another FedEx door tag at home. I call the RMA department yet again to ask if this is memory or a label, because if it's a label I'm not driving to get it they can resend it to my work like they agreed to. Turns out it's memory (2 GB module), and the label should have been e-mailed. Needless to say I never got an e-mail with a label. They asked me to update my ticket asking again for a label, so I did. I drove 1 hour again to pick up the third package & I now have a full 4 GB kit.

[Cliff's]

RMA'd 4 GB kit
Received 2 GB module
Called and asked for a second module.
Got e-mail saying they were sending a 2 GB kit
Called and warned them they were shipping the wrong thing.
Received 2 GB kit
Called again, agreed to return 2 GB kit + 2 GB module in exchange for 4 GB kit.
Received 2 GB module
Called again, advised them I still hadn't received shipping label.

A total of 6 phone calls, 3 hours of driving, and one month later I have more memory than I should.

[/Cliff's]

Now... How much more out of my way should I go before I make use of this 2GB kit? They've managed to screw things up at every single step, & not only did I warn them before they shipped the wrong item I've now asked 3 times for a label to return it (twice by phone, once by trouble ticket). Have I fulfilled my duties as an honest customer?

Viper GTS

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I think they've f'ed with you enough to warrant keeping it. Think of it as repayment for the hassle.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
What company is this so we know not to deal with them. WTF is wrong with their customer service? I'd say you've done more than your fair share. If you're happy with the memory and you don't have any extra charges to your account just leave it be.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
i say you've earned it; keep the 2GB kit. asking to return it more than twice is over kill in my opinion.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Glad to know I'm not completely out of my mind in thinking I've earned it.

Now if I keep it (or give it away as is more likely), what do I tell them a month from now if they suddenly figure out they're missing some RAM? Not that I think this is likely as they seem to have no clue wtf they're doing, but you never know...

Viper GTS

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Glad to know I'm not completely out of my mind in thinking I've earned it.

Now if I keep it (or give it away as is more likely), what do I tell them a month from now if they suddenly figure out they're missing some RAM? Not that I think this is likely as they seem to have no clue wtf they're doing, but you never know...

Viper GTS

wait six weeks, if nothing happens, give it away. but just don't go out of your way to return it.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: amdskip
Wait and see if they request the memory back.

How long?

I'm in a similar situation with a couple compressors. First didn't work. Second was damaged during delivery. Third got here safe and works great. I already sent three emails over the past month letting them know they can send for these and they haven't yet. I almost get the feeling they're implying I'm free to keep them, in which case I'd probably fix them over time and sell one and donate the other to something like Habitat For Humanity.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: AmpedSilence
i say you've earned it; keep the 2GB kit. asking to return it more than twice is over kill in my opinion.

I think he and I are wondering if there is some sort of statute of limitations.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I'm betting this is Corsair. Back in the day I sent them a 512x2 dual channel kit. They sent me back (2) 512x2 dual channel kits. It seems that they (at the time) blindly filled my RMA order.

Aug 23, 2000
Wow. You "earned" it? WTF. Call them up and ask to speak with a supervisor. Talk to them about it and see what they want to do with the memory. Remind them that the money they will spend to mail a label to you and for the return shipping would be almost as much as the memory itself and that they could let you have it as a good will token. But by saying "you earned it" you are trying to justify stealing. Stealing from a company that has a f'ed up RMA process is like stealing from a retarded blind man. Both are wrong. Now if you can talk them into letting you have it then, that's the companies decision and there is nothing wrong with that.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Wow. You "earned" it? WTF. Call them up and ask to speak with a supervisor. Talk to them about it and see what they want to do with the memory. Remind them that the money they will spend to mail a label to you and for the return shipping would be almost as much as the memory itself and that they could let you have it as a good will token. But by saying "you earned it" you are trying to justify stealing. Stealing from a company that has a f'ed up RMA process is like stealing from a retarded blind man. Both are wrong. Now if you can talk them into letting you have it then, that's the companies decision and there is nothing wrong with that.

"I've earned it" = "I have made a more than reasonable attempt to return their product. I'm through burning my time trying to get them back a $50 memory kit, the ball is now in their court."

Better?

Viper GTS

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

This is exactly how I feel. You earned nothing, but you went out of your way for a lot of hassle. There is a difference.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006

"I've earned it" = "I have made a more than reasonable attempt to return their product. I'm through burning my time trying to get them back a $50 memory kit, the ball is now in their court."

Better?

Viper GTS

I think that is 100% fair game to keep it. You busted you ass to make this transaction possible, and like you said, they fscked up every step of the way. Let them figure it out.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

Better?

Viper GTS

That has a completely different meaning than how it originally sounded. This is basically what happened to me at the hospital in Paris. I tried for several hours to pay the bill and no one would give me the time of day, so my wife and I just left and flew back to the states without paying. I wasn't going to waste my time there trying to pay a hospital bill when no one would talk to me for more than 10 seconds.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

That has a completely different meaning than how it originally sounded. This is basically what happened to me at the hospital in Paris. I tried for several hours to pay the bill and no one would give me the time of day, so my wife and I just left and flew back to the states without paying. I wasn't going to waste my time there trying to pay a hospital bill when no one would talk to me for more than 10 seconds.

Taken in context with everything else I've said it should have been obvious.

Is there a certain part of me that takes solace in knowing that I ended up with extra memory after all the crap I went through? Of course. Will I send back the memory if they get me a label? Absolutely. Will I call them again after giving them 3 chances to figure it out? Hell no.

Viper GTS

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

Taken in context with everything else I've said it should have been obvious.

Is there a certain part of me that takes solace in knowing that I ended up with extra memory after all the crap I went through? Of course. Will I send back the memory if they get me a label? Absolutely. Will I call them again after giving them 3 chances to figure it out? Hell no.

Viper GTS

Saying "I've earned it" sounds very different though regardless of context. It just adds a dimension of entitlement that wasn't really there.