How exactly bad is a blood pressure of 138/80?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by manlymatt83, Dec 17, 2006.

1. manlymatt83

manlymatt83 Diamond Member

I used to have really high blood pressure, but I've lost a lot of weight. 80+ pounds. Now, my blood pressure averages about 138/80, sometimes lower in the morning.

Exactly how bad are these numbers? Is it OK to wait a few more months to see if losing more weight continues to lower it (still got another 30-40 pounds to go)?

Thanks ATOT,

Matt

EDIT: I've asked my doctors. One doctor says I'm fine, and not even worry. Another (who is medicine hungry) wanted to do the whole medicine thing...

2. Syringer

Syringer Lifer

Ask your..oh, you're clever.

How old are you?

3. manlymatt83

manlymatt83 Diamond Member

It used to be 158/90 averaging before I lost a lot of weight.

My cholestoral has returned to normal too since the weight loss. Only thing somewhat high is the BP.

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt Lifer

It's higher than you want to be, but not dangerously high. I'd go with doc #1. Keep losing weight and hope that it levels out at a better place once your overall health improves. If it remains that high once you've lost the weight then do the medicine thing.

5. BUrassler

BUrassler Senior member

120/80 is considered good/average....

You want to be as close to that or below for, theoretically, your whole life. You are not too far above, and qith your weight still droping, I would say you are ok and headed in a good direction.

BUT, I AM NOT A DOCTOR!! So, thats my opinion.

6. 50cent1228

50cent1228 Platinum Member

ask a third doc

7. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

That BP is technically prehypertensive but really not too too bad. Get a bit more exercise in, cut the salt out of the diet, maybe lose a bit more weight and it shouldn't even be a problem.

8. ElFenix

ElFenix Super Moderator and Elite Member
    Super Moderator

might want to lower your salt intake.

there is a lot of debate as to what are the causes of high blood pressure and what exactly it does to your body. it is associated with higher risks of heart disease and stroke, iirc. neither of which are things you want to have.

9. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Mine used to run ~ 200/135...thanks to the concept of "Better Living through Chemistry", it's now about 125/80...my doctor is much happier with that...OP, while it's considered to be "borderline high", it's not horrible. BUT, it could (and probably should) be lower...

10. mattocs

mattocs Platinum Member

that isn't to bad. Mine is usuly around that, sometimes lower. Last time I had a physical for my DOT certification, it was like 130/80 or so.

11. funboy6942

funboy6942 Lifer

Yours is considered normal, mine used to be like boomers but finally with correct eating and my pills I am in the 120/70 range. And not at all used to it all either, dizzy all the time, passing out if I get up and walk to sudden, not sure if I like it and in no way feels "normal" to me.

12. SearchMaster

SearchMaster Diamond Member

Damn, dude, did blood start randomly shooting out of your orifices?

13. imported_motodude

imported_motodude Senior member

I am a DO and you will die in a week.

14. IAteYourMother

i'm like 110/70

15. Evadman

Evadman Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member

I am 310/170. One time I got a paper cut and shot my friend's eye out. It was horrible.

16. brandonb

brandonb Diamond Member

138/80 is fine.

The first number is a bit high, but thats not really the one to worry about. The 2nd number is the dangerous one, and if you are 80 you should be ok.

I would not worry.

17. Orsorum

Orsorum Lifer

I'm 131/70 myself, would like to lose another 50 lbs over the course of the next few years.

18. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Nah, but it was getting out of control, even after I quit smoking for several months, and was no longer commuting 100 miles each way...I had expected both to make a big difference in BP, but not even a little bit.

19. chris7b

chris7b Senior member

Just watch the diastolic (the lower number)...you don't want it to climb past 90. 138 Systolic isn't gonna kill you, lower would be nicer however.

20. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Don't forget, your blood pressure varies greatly during the course of the day. A couple years ago, my blood pressure was 1 point above what the Red Cross would accept. I went to my Dr to get it checked out. I ended up wearing a monitor that took my blood pressure every 10 or 15 minutes for 24 hours. I was amazed at the variation, plus it was simple to see at what times I was completely stressed out.

21. TraumaRN

TraumaRN Diamond Member

Always remember this, to be diagnosed with hypertension, you need 3 consecutive elevated blood pressures at 3 separate visits to the doctor. Unless of course your BP is >200/>100 then generally you almost surely have hypertension(unless you have some sort of trauma, injury etc).