How does this sound for the honeymoon?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Update: Ok, scrapped that last idea.... Too many places to go between and not enough time in each of them.... this is the new plan for the cities to visit..

Miami -> Zurich, CH (nonstop flight, spend the day here)
Lucerne, CH (2 nights)
Interlaken, CH (1 night)
Zermatt, CH (2 nights)
Florence, IT (3 nights)
Rome, IT (2 nights)
Rome -> Miami (1 stop, in Zurich)

Dec 4, 2002
Just got back from Europe, sounds like you've got yourself a nice plan. :thumbsup:

I loved Switzerland...and Italy for that matter. I could live if I don't go back to Rome though.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Mike
Just got back from Europe, sounds like you've got yourself a nice plan. :thumbsup:

I loved Switzerland...and Italy for that matter. I could live if I don't go back to Rome though.

I've heard that about rome from a few people, reason why? I would love to see the sights there, but if its a place to avoid, we could just make it a half-day and fly to paris early.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Doesn't sound like you left enough time for, you know, in your plans. Check my sig. My whole thing was that I don't want to drive. Just get a euro pass.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Too much bouncing around for me. Sounds like a great regular vacation but not a honeymoon (to me anyway).

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex

I've heard that about rome from a few people, reason why? I would love to see the sights there, but if its a place to avoid, we could just make it a half-day and fly to paris early.

Rome is a very dirty city, and after I went to everything that I wanted to go to...I was over the city. I could go back to Venice or Florence in a heartbeat. I would probably only go back to Rome if I was going with someone that had never been before, just so they could see the historical sites.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
Doesn't sound like you left enough time for, you know, in your plans. Check my sig. My whole thing was that I don't want to drive. Just get a euro pass.

Well, i don't really mind driving. I've been to western europe a few times already (pretty much everywhere except italy), and while comfortable with the public transportation, id rather get off the beaten path this time and have a little more control over our pace.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The most important thing I think others can learn from my honeymoon: schedule plenty of days where you do nothing. My honeymoon was a complete disaster for many reasons (I don't want to ruin this thread by stating them). However, one lesson is applicable to other people - give yourself plenty of days where you do nothing. The first day of rest on your honeymoon should be the day AFTER your wedding. Absolutely do NOT make the mistake of flying the night of or the day after your wedding. Instead, get rest from your long night before. Spend time visiting your relatives that came in from out of town and who you haven't seen in a long time. Open your gifts with your relatives there and thank them personally. Etc.

So, I think your honeymoon is overfilled. You don't want to spend 50% of your time in a plane/bus/train. Take a city out and have more pleasant time together rather than stressful travel time.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard
The most important thing I think others can learn from my honeymoon: schedule plenty of days where you do nothing. My honeymoon was a complete disaster for many reasons, but that is one of them that will be applicable to other people. The first day of rest on your honeymoon should be the day AFTER your wedding. Absolutely do NOT make the mistake of flying the night of or the day after your wedding.

yea, we're flying out 2 days after the wedding, spending the day after just relaxing at home...

also, since ive been to switzerland before, i figured it would be a good country to start and just relax in, since i know my way around already, the anxiety will be fairly low.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
The most important thing I think others can learn from my honeymoon: schedule plenty of days where you do nothing. My honeymoon was a complete disaster for many reasons (I don't want to ruin this thread by stating them). However, one lesson is applicable to other people - give yourself plenty of days where you do nothing. The first day of rest on your honeymoon should be the day AFTER your wedding. Absolutely do NOT make the mistake of flying the night of or the day after your wedding. Instead, get rest from your long night before. Spend time visiting your relatives that came in from out of town and who you haven't seen in a long time. Open your gifts with your relatives there and thank them personally. Etc.

So, I think your honeymoon is overfilled. You don't want to spend 50% of your time in a plane/bus/train. Take a city out and have more pleasant time together rather than stressful travel time.

I was talking about this with my fiancee and she wants to fly out the night of the wedding. IDK, I think we should stay somewhere close to the airport and fly out the next day. Her brother took a limo to the airport (nearly 100miles) spent the night at the airport hotel and flew out the next day. But I'm with you on the days to do nothing while you are there. Its the bumming around acting like a commoner, not in a rush to see things that makes it a honeymoon and not a vacation.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Too much bouncing around for me. Sounds like a great regular vacation but not a honeymoon (to me anyway).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
In my trip to Italy, my favorite stops were in Florence and Assisi. Pisa is cool... for a few minutes.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
updated with less locations, more time in switzerland

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
Originally posted by: aphex
updated with less locations, more time in switzerland

Is she ok with it?

yep, this was the culmination of roughly 4-5 hours of the two of us reading guidebooks, tripadvisor, etc...

nj

Mar 15, 2001
[Rome is a very dirty city, and after I went to everything that I wanted to go to...I was over the city. I could go back to Venice or Florence in a heartbeat.

The most important thing I think others can learn from my honeymoon: schedule plenty of days where you do nothing.

These are very good tips. I just got back from my honeymoon in Italy (2 weeks) and I got very tired of traveling after the first week. I suggest less places with plenty of time to see it while you are there to avoid getting run down.

And Rome is filthy and miserable. Yes the sites are worth seeing but you could see them in a day. Milan, Florence, Venice and Sorrento were definitely the highlights (Milan being the most modern).

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
updated yet again, we found really good nonstop airfare on Swiss, got the tickets on hold right now...

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
That's a lot of moving around for a honeymoon. Maybe cut down a little on the number of cities?

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Hey Aphex, Are you bringing a DV camcorder or just a regular digital or both? Wondering if it is safe and won't get snatched

SophalotJack

Banned
Jan 6, 2006
Is this a honeymoon or a vacation that you wanted to travel around on?

Doesn't sound too romantic and laid back if you're moving around this much. I see something not going right the whole way through.