How does the S2000 get so much HP out of a 4 cylinder?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Peak torque is more interesting than peak HP. Want higher peak HP? Often you just have to rev higher. Not so with torque. It seems very difficult to get more than 75 lb-ft of torque per 1L of normally-aspirated engine.

Well this car was made to go zigzagging at racetracks and keep you busy shifting as you try to keep it in the slim powerband... :D Works for me. :)

I don't know why anyone would take this car dragging though... since almost always you'll get your ass handed back to you. :(

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
how many cylinders does the offenhauser engine have? 4, isnt it? and like 600 hp? course... it does run on alcohol....

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Peak torque is more interesting than peak HP. Want higher peak HP? Often you just have to rev higher. Not so with torque. It seems very difficult to get more than 75 lb-ft of torque per 1L of normally-aspirated engine.

TQ numbers are getting better and better for 4 cylinders. The two main tricks these days are using a longer stroke and using continuous variable valve timing (cam phasing).

~75 lb-ft TQ/L is actually very common now, many import passenger cars make near that number. It'll probably get even better with newer models.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: boyRacer

:D personally... i think its a good thing... i love high revving suckers... :) like this bad boy... holy isht that car is pimp. :heart: :D

Ahh...the wonderous note of a ferrari V8.