How does the S2000 get so much HP out of a 4 cylinder?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Horsepower = torque * RPM /5252

Anyone who can do simple match can see that the same torque at a higher RPM = more HP. 9,000 RPM = a lot of RPM. Makes HP really large, even with the smaller amount of torque the engine produces.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
The Prelude has a max HP rating of 220? I have the Prelude manual SE 2001 and it's rated at around 195-200HP. Unless the US has their own version that Canada doesn't offer? *scratches head*

The Prelude redlines at about 6500rpm I believe. Must be a really smooth engine to be able to stand redlining the S2000 to 8/9k rpm. Or just the mindset that if you're prolly revving that high, you don't give a damn about speed, just wanting to beat the car next to ya :)

i think it was the SH that made 220 HP, though i could be wrong.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
The Prelude has a max HP rating of 220? I have the Prelude manual SE 2001 and it's rated at around 195-200HP. Unless the US has their own version that Canada doesn't offer? *scratches head*

The Prelude redlines at about 6500rpm I believe. Must be a really smooth engine to be able to stand redlining the S2000 to 8/9k rpm. Or just the mindset that if you're prolly revving that high, you don't give a damn about speed, just wanting to beat the car next to ya :)

i think it was the SH that made 220 HP, though i could be wrong.

Both models had the same engine... the TypeSH just had that ATTS trickery... :D

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: boyRacer
Originally posted by: ajpa123
revs to 9000 rpm.. must sound like paradise.. :)
i also wonder how they managed to squeese240hp from 2.0 litres and make it so reliable.. with just DOHC and variable valve timing.. no turbo, supercharger.. :Q

the new one only revs to 8k... but has a wider torque band. 9k is freakin loud even from inside... :Q

enourmously loud. but its nice loud. when i hear it, its a nice smooth sound. none of that rough sound, and not obnoxious like those fart pipes. even at 6k rpm it already gets pretty damn loud, to a degree that if you had a passenger you would basically have to almost yell to talk. thats kind of bad i guess, imagine driving more than an hour in there on the freeway. yours ears would be ringing.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
Originally posted by: boyRacer
Originally posted by: ajpa123
revs to 9000 rpm.. must sound like paradise.. :)
i also wonder how they managed to squeese240hp from 2.0 litres and make it so reliable.. with just DOHC and variable valve timing.. no turbo, supercharger.. :Q

the new one only revs to 8k... but has a wider torque band. 9k is freakin loud even from inside... :Q

enourmously loud. but its nice loud. when i hear it, its a nice smooth sound. none of that rough sound, and not obnoxious like those fart pipes. even at 6k rpm it already gets pretty damn loud, to a degree that if you had a passenger you would basically have to almost yell to talk. thats kind of bad i guess, imagine driving more than an hour in there on the freeway. yours ears would be ringing.

:D personally... i think its a good thing... i love high revving suckers... :) like this bad boy... holy isht that car is pimp. :heart: :D

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
You mean my 2001 Prelude SE has 220 horses? Was that because it was Honda's last model year? What changes made for the extra ponies? Even if so, mine feels slow. Maybe I need mine tuned up. The test will really come come summer time, as all I'm doing right now is spinning the tires on cold winter ice at every friggin stop light :p

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: NutBucket
1.) High compression (11.1:1)
2.) Astrnomical Redline (8k)

Consider that horsepower is a relationship between torque and rpm so the same torque at higher rpm = more horsepower. That's the basics of it.

Add to this a very efficient combustion chamber(very turbulent compressed charge),
A matched and very well tuned intake/exhaust system.
Fact: Exhaust note does not have to be loud to work well.
Fact: The intake air box is tuned like a cello's sound box. These harmonic vibrations
greatly assist air movement, a sort of supercharge lite. The ex/in port sizes are
very critical as port velocities must be high and efficient.

Intake velocities at peak are most likely 450fps....

:sun:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You mean my 2001 Prelude SE has 220 horses? Was that because it was Honda's last model year? What changes made for the extra ponies? Even if so, mine feels slow. Maybe I need mine tuned up. The test will really come come summer time, as all I'm doing right now is spinning the tires on cold winter ice at every friggin stop light :p

Yes it does. I think it BoyRacer who said it but all of the last gen Preludes had 220 horses. They all used H22A4's which have 11:1 compression instead of 10:1 of the previous 190 horse Prelude VTECs. That said, your redline is about 7200-7400. I forget the exact number. Try revving it up there. At 6500 you're just starting to get to the fun!

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

Yes it does. I think it BoyRacer who said it but all of the last gen Preludes had 220 horses. They all used H22A4's which have 11:1 compression instead of 10:1 of the previous 190 horse Prelude VTECs. That said, your redline is about 7200-7400. I forget the exact number. Try revving it up there. At 6500 you're just starting to get to the fun!

Uh, American h22a4s made 200hp. I believe the japanese h22 made 220. Redine is ~7600 with fuel cutoff at 8k.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Rent

Uh, American h22a4s made 200hp. I believe the japanese h22 made 220. Redine is ~7600 with fuel cutoff at 8k.

IIRC...the last two years it was for sale had 220... i have the brochure for both 200 and 200... i'll have to check.

EDIT: Nevermind... only have the 1997 and 98... rated at 195... ~200 ...don't know where the others are but i couldve sworn i saw 220 for the last year the prelude was sold.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000

Everything depends. I have jdm H22A. Makes 200 (10.6:1). The A4 is 11:1 across the board as far as I recall.

http://www.h22a.org/specifications.htm

Unfortunately this site doesn't give specific block designations.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

Everything depends. I have jdm H22A. Makes 200 (10.6:1). The A4 is 11:1 across the board as far as I recall.

http://www.h22a.org/specifications.htm

Unfortunately this site doesn't give specific block designations.

My friend with a '99 has replaced the motor in his 2 times for various reasons (racing/mod related). His JDM motor pulls much stronger than the base domestic he replaced.

I like the car... just wish it was RWD.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

Consider that horsepower is a relationship between torque and rpm so the same torque at higher rpm = more horsepower. That's the basics of it.
I think you are the only one to get it right, sure it's got to breath, but open the doors all the way and you are not going to get 240HP out of a 2.0 with only 8.5:1 ;)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: LAUST

I think you are the only one to get it right, sure it's got to breath, but open the doors all the way and you are not going to get 240HP out of a 2.0 with only 8.5:1 ;)

I'd hope I get it right being a self proclaimed Fanboi;)

GT578

Feb 7, 2000
The prelude have 200hp for the U.S. version (2001 model). Power was bumped to 200 from 195 in '99.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
You guys talking about the preludes are missing something. In the last generation (5th gens):

190 HP = base prelude automatic
200 HP = base prelude manual and type SH

220 HP = type S model which had special pistons and an special intake. It was only was released in japan.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
But you'll hardly ever see those all of those 240 horses.
Cause a few of them run in the opposite direction because the differential axles causes slipping in the nth-degree orthonagal dimension.

It basically means the pistons are crap.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: cr4zymofo
But you'll hardly ever see those all of those 240 horses.
Cause a few of them run in the opposite direction because the differential axles causes slipping in the nth-degree orthonagal dimension.

It basically means the pistons are crap.

or because people who buy these cars dont even reach the powerband when they park at starbucks.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Peak torque is more interesting than peak HP. Want higher peak HP? Often you just have to rev higher. Not so with torque. It seems very difficult to get more than 75 lb-ft of torque per 1L of normally-aspirated engine.