how does the i7 manage virtual memory paging?

jimlsamson

Mar 23, 2009
I have been looking around for this... but havent been able to find the answer anywere. How does the i7 manage virtual memory paging... how does it keep track of the different levels (like in ultrasparcs)

This is being moved to the CPU forum where more folks may see this and help. - Moderator Rubycon

jimlsamson

Mar 23, 2009
this isn't a homework question... I was reading about this particular subject and wanted more information on a more current processor... the examples given to me were the ultrasparcs and pentium 4's... does the i7 handle it the same way the pentium 4 does?

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
I don't think paging has really changed much since it was invented. There are little extra features that have been added here and there (presumably simultaneous multithreading requires a few extra bits; 64bits added an extra level of hierarchy to the page table, etc), but the concepts are the same.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I don't think the CPU has anything to do with virtual memory paging, now if you are talking about internal cache operations, that'd be a different topic.