How does someone like Steve King manage to win re-election??

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Wow he was losing when I looked. Such a bad smear on us Iowans. Remember, there are 4 districts. Only 1/4 of Iowan's are white supremist assholes ;p

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If they voted for Steve King they are. The man has endorsed Nazis and met with them in other countries, disgustingly enough while he was supposedly touring holocaust sites.

Der Asshole will be in the enemies house who will rule someone like him with an iron fist. It would be tempting to not seat him, but that would be the worst of possible actions. Perhaps he could serve at the lowest possible status on a perpetual commission to fight white supremacy and fascism. I think I might like that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
-Likely because he is a familiar face, his opponent did a terrible job running against him, his constituents don't know any better, one of the above or all of the above.

It's Iowa. Racial politics aside most if not all the state is populated by ranchers and deep red conservative interests.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
When I see this, my long term hope for the country fades. Regulars to this form know the history of this guy. Any explanations?? Maybe I'm overreacting but this bumbs me out.

Rep. King wins despite outcry over white supremacist support

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/11/07/us-election-2018-house-iowa-steve-king-2/

I think Gene Wilder said it best:

You got to remember these are just simple farmers.
These are people of the land.
The common clay of the American West.
You know... Morons.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well, I mean....most of the country went red...so you can hardly blame one state.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
If he represents the beliefs of his constitutes they will vote for him. Not that strange. You just have trouble understanding because you have this "liberal view" that racism/nazism is bad..

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
What's more surprising is posters here still giving the GOP base the benefit of doubt.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If he represents the beliefs of his constitutes they will vote for him. Not that strange. You just have trouble understanding because you have this "liberal view" that racism/nazism is bad..
So I have to adjust my liberal view and realize racism/nazism isn't so bad? Is that called having an understanding of others?

You're not helping. Bumbing out more.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
So I have to adjust my liberal view and realize racism/nazism isn't so bad? Is that called having an understanding of others?

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. It has gotten harder to spot with all these idiots running around tho, so I don't really blame you.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Wow, who knew only liberals cared about racism/Nazism.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
You'd think an Iowa congressman flying to Austria to meet with a party started by an actual SS officer would be disqualifying. But at least he's not a libruhl, amirite?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You're the real racist for wanting equal rights for everyone!
You're the real nazi for wanting freedom for everyone!

Am I doing this right?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. It has gotten harder to spot with all these idiots running around tho, so I don't really blame you.
I knew that. We keep being told things like this are getting better but there is evidence that isn't the case.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
It's entirely possible that the Iowans who voted for him are capable of more nuanced positions than, "white supremacist, must have no valuable political ideas, must not know how to represent his constituents". Perhaps it is possible that a white supremacist with his platform is actually better for Iowa than his opponent? Just throwing that out there.

Sort of a baby with the bathwater kind of thing.

Reactions: lsd

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
"I don't approve of putting Jews in ovens but, you know, his views on the economy really overshadow that."

Political leader who would put us in WW3 or an alleged pedophile? - not saying those 2 options exist but where do you go?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Political leader who would put us in WW3 or an alleged pedophile? - not saying those 2 options exist but where do you go?

Out of more than 500K people living in a district you find a different choice. Somehow I doubt the democratic candidate in King's district was running on a platform that was going to steal family farms and put up abortion clinics on every street corner.

Reactions: Mean MrMustard