how does one uninstall Coolbits?

Jul 26, 2005
anyone know? It's not a "program" in Add/Remove programs (or is it? i'm not at my computer now), so how do i get rid of it? I am hearing on another message board that I should NOT use it to OC my new RMA'd 7900GT (new Infineon ram version), as it is problematic (it started my first & 2nd card down the road to failure)...I plan on using ATITool to OC I guess...any help would be appreciated

P229SAS

Jun 21, 2006
Well as long as you dont mess with it, its not hurting anything but if you prefer to remove it:

Start->Run->Regedit

HKEYLOCALMACHINE---SOFTWARE---NVIDIA CORP---GLOBAL---NVTWEAK

Under NVTWEAK, you should see a DWORD value "Coolbits", just right click on it and click delete.

Wait a minute, you are planning on using ATITool to OC your 7900GT?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: P229SAS
Well as long as you dont mess with it, its not hurting anything but if you prefer to remove it:

Start->Run->Regedit

HKEYLOCALMACHINE---SOFTWARE---NVIDIA CORP---GLOBAL---NVTWEAK

Under NVTWEAK, you should see a DWORD value "Coolbits", just right click on it and click delete.

Wait a minute, you are planning on using ATITool to OC your 7900GT?

ATITool does allow OCing of nvidia GPUs, surprisingly. I used it for a while to OC my 6800NU before switching to RivaTuner.

Anyway, reg-editing is generally pretty dangerous. You might accidentally delete the wrong selection, and then... well, who knows? Last resort indeed.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
The Coolbits download is just a registry key that edits the registry for you. When you "install" coolbits, this is all that is happening:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1803&page=3

...this is why you can't "uninstall" Coolbits. Coolbits is already in the drivers, it's just disabled by default. This is also why you have to re-run the Coolbits reg key every time you upgrade your driver.

IMO, OC'ing you card period has more potential for damage than editing your registry.

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
Originally posted by: nitromullet
The Coolbits download is just a registry key that edits the registry for you. When you "install" coolbits, this is all that is happening:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1803&page=3

...this is why you can't "uninstall" Coolbits. Coolbits is already in the drivers, it's just disabled by default. This is also why you have to re-run the Coolbits reg key every time you upgrade your driver.

IMO, OC'ing you card period has more potential for damage than editing your registry.

That's right, coolbits is already there, you just enabled/disabled it through the registry to "install" or "uninstall" it.