How does one go about getting a motorcycle license?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
learn how to ride
take a motorcycle safety course
take the motorcycle written test
take the motorcycle riding test
get license

do wheely going 134 mph and become a grease stain on the highway

good luck!

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
How does the riding test work? Does someone actually go and ride with you? How would they take notes and all?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is usually on a course in a parking lot , not a road test

so they stand on the side of the course and watch you plow the cones, mark you down and fail you

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
How does the riding test work? Does someone actually go and ride with you? How would they take notes and all?
The riding test is a series of low-speed maneuverability tests done in a parking lot. You are not carrying an additional rider. Low speeds and tight corners really do test control of a bike since putting a foot down loses points, as does stalling or stopping. However, it's still not as comprehensive as it could be.

ZV

mindmaniac

Dec 30, 2003
I'd really like to know an answer to this. I'm planning on getting myself a cycle this spring, but don't know if you really need to take the motorcycle safety course or if you can just take the written and the riding test.

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Best thing to do, as mentioned before, is to take a MSF course. The course teaches alot fo really good stuff and you can get your liscence by taking the course. It also sometimes helps with insurance.

EDIT: Here ya MSF

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: mindmaniac
I'd really like to know an answer to this. I'm planning on getting myself a cycle this spring, but don't know if you really need to take the motorcycle safety course or if you can just take the written and the riding test.
Can you pass the tests just fine without the MSF course? Yes. Is the MSF class still a very good idea? Absolutely.

ZV

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Do you know how to ride one? If not then the MSF course is SUPER GODLY HIGHLY NINJA recommended, and they take a test at the end and that gets you a license.

Motorcycle riding test is done in a parking lot where a course is laid out of traffic cones. Then there are several maneuvers you have to perform, such proper stopping, proper acceleration, turning, twist course, etc. No one rides with you, the person administering just watches.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
in NJ you have to manuever around a bunch of cones in tight turns. A stopping hard and manuver course and a plain stop before a certain distance after hitting 25 mph.