how does one go about cancelling AOL?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
my sister finally decided she was ready.

damn email transition took too damn long.

:p

we have been using DSL for several months.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry, it's not possible. Cancelling AOL is like trying to leave the Mafia.

Russ, NCNE

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I am sure there is a witch craft ritual involving one AOHell 500 hour free cd, a lock of hair and a personal sacrifice of some sort. Using AOhell qualifies you for the sacrificing part.

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
I left Prodigy about a year ago. They have no problem signing you up and leeching off your credit card on the net, but try to cancel ha! I had to call up and wait on hold for like 10 minutes. Then I ask to cancel, simple I thought. The woman trys to talk me out of canceling in a very condescending manner! This throws me off a bit, then it makes me angry. So after I make it very clear I want to cancel, she asks me my reason for canceling in same condescending tone, I told her off whilst reciting a catalog of reasons why Prodigy sucked.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I cancelled AOL four years ago (yes, I tried it too), and to this day, I still get free hours "please come back" CD's in the mail.

Russ, NCNE

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
ok, but seriously, there is a secret telephone number within AOL's software that you call and then tell them you want to cancel. They try to beg you to stay by offering more free months, but if you say no, that's the end. And the flood of AOL cds will begin.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I never signed with them and I get those damn coasters every month! Where the hell did they get my home address? Must be when I registered some software. Someone sold them the info. :|

Don't Talk To Strangers (Rick Springfield)

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
russ ever seen a AOL cd in a microwave for 5 seconds? its cool!

dam()

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Ahhh... you didn't read the fine print in your Customer Agreement.

"...Upon cancellation, you forfeit all rites to love, life, and happiness to AOL. AOL also maintains the rites to 51% of your soul which we may do with as we see fit..."

Good luck! :D

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I did it in march...well february. You call up, say you want your account cancelled and they say, "NO B!TCH, that isn't an option! You will stay as user #134jS5*&%394Jd9d:kj39834A until you are dead." Just remain adamant in your conviction to discontinuing your account. Finally they will say, "Ok, we have to find an adequate replacement for your user number, which is #134jS5*&%394Jd9d:kj39834A. You will have one free month. Please call within the next month to cancel...but beware...AOL is like the Skulls! We WILL get you..."

Ok, just take out the goofy stuff and that is how you do it.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
*poof* :D

finally, gone... i uninstalled it from my computer a while ago... and just uninstalled it from sister's too.

i just hope it really is cancelled.

--

and i waited a whole 3 minutes for the person to answer the phone... CANCEL, click... :D

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
With great difficulty.

About a couple of years ago, when I had a toll based (NSW Technical colleges) student account, that was costing A2c (about US1.3c) per minute, I thought I'd go for one of those free 100 hours for one month, AOL accounts, when they started out in Australia. However during the startup procedure of clicking ok, half a dozen times, it asked me for my credit card number. I was a bit hesitent, but I thought 'fuckit' I'll be cancelling in 4 weeks anyway.

Well it didn't quite work like that. Within 3 days I had a cybersex thing going with some English girl who IMed me, so I let it go for 2 months, before disconnecting. The funny thing is that AOL don't like it when you try to disconnect, they kept asking me why, & asking me whats wrong.

Well that was that, I figured I'm disconnected, but the next month I get a AOL deduction on my credit card slip again. So I rang up & it appears they hadn't disconnected me. So I demand to be disconnected & they'd say they do it with in the hour. Then they offer me a free month as compensation, so I said ok, think I'll have another chance to talk dirty with the English girl . Well 2 days bwfore the month is up I ring up to disconnect & go through all the 'Don't you like us' questions. But guess what happens for the next 2 months they kebt billing my credit card. But this time I was one up on them - I rang my bank & told them never ever to pay AOL as they keep false billing me.

So remember, it easy getting AOL, but its bloody hard to get rid of them, once you've had enough.

BCool

Oct 12, 1999
Aol CD's are only good as beer coasters and target practice. The latter preferred.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Even Mogurs EMS BBS at 14.4 out here in the LA Valley was better that the current aol. He used Wildcat with a relay to the net. It was cool in it's day.