How does one get a job (as a pilot) in the Airline Industry?

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Title says it all. Also, is there a site where the airlines post pilot jobs?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
did you graduate in the top half from the air force academy?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I don't think the major airlines are going to do much hiring of new pilots for a while since they have so many experienced pilots on furlough/layoff/whatever since the business contracted. I believe most new pilot jobs will come from pilots working their way through the smaller commuter airlines.

If I had the choice myself I would probably go for a corporate pilot position, I would love to fly G5's ;)

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Fly heavies in the AF for 20 years.
Or spend a ton of money & time going to Embry Riddle or such and getting your multiengine chit then working up through the ranks. My cousin did this ... he flies 7*7 for FedEx now ... not sure if he's moved out of the 2nd seat or not yet.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
And yea, it's a damn tough job market ... two of my 2nd cousin's followed in their uncles footsteps @ embry riddle. One is now selling sporting goods, and the other teaches people to fly Cessna's

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Originally posted by: DaZ
Title says it all. Also, is there a site where the airlines post pilot jobs?
Apply? What kind of time and experience do you have?

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I heard Nasa needs a few people to train their monkeys to fly the space shuttles.

RV6Pilot

Apr 25, 2003
As others have pointed out, the airline industry is having a tough time and is not likely to get better any time soon. There is good news and bad news about getting a job with the majors. The good news is that many of the current senior pilots will be looking to retire in the next few years. They came from the Vietnam military ranks mostly. The bad news is that many of the pilots currently in the military will take those jobs.

In general, commuter airlines (not majors) are looking for a minimum 1,500 - 2,000 hours flight time with the majority being twin-engine and/or turbo-prop time. Majors now require 2,000 - 4,000 hours of PIC time in turbo-prop or jet.

Some will suggest getting your time as an instructor. This is ok to a point. Commuter airlines will not even consider any hours in a single prop airplane. So, you need to get multi-engine time and any turbo-prop time you can get. This means running mail, packages, medical, whatever that can be done in a multi-engine or even better a turbo-prop plane.

And a final word of discouragment....

Flying for the average commuter pays about $10.00 an hour. They tell you when and where to fly and that means you move to where they need you. Commuter airlines make money flying from podunk towns to hubs so you can expect to live in less than exciting places. If your ok with that and all else I have stated, then best of luck...

from one who's been there done that and don't any more....

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
I had a few friends who looked into this career and said it was very tough to get into and even when you did the money wasn't that great until you were flying commercial with a few years experience, as others have said they generally prefer military experience and a proven history....

I would love to take lessons and fly but don't see it as a reality as the market is too competitive and it is expensive to get trained.