How does Google make money???

Tseng

Oct 9, 1999
Google is the best search engine I have ever used. Fast and very detailed. Just how does they make money? No pop-up ad, no banners?

How???

bearmeat

Apr 28, 2001
EXCEPT when you press "I'm feelin Lucky" that is the Spider monkey's department.

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
They sell ad space to the right of every search based on keywords that are searched for. Also, I'm pretty sure Yahoo is a good source of income as well :) (If a search fails to turn up anything in Yahoo's index, it goes to a Yahoo-branded version of Google).

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
When you search for something there's usually a few text ads on result page that have something to do with what you're searching for. For instance, yesterday I was looking up something on domain hosting and got a text ad above my results for Verio.com, which does something to do with domains, I'm not sure. The ones above your results are more expensive, the ones to the side are cheaper. That's why you usually see bigger companies have the spots above the results.

OSUdrunk

Apr 21, 2001
They also license their search technology to other companies for use on their web sites. Ask Jeeves and most other search engines do the same.