Discussion how does FB marketplace handle scams from buyer?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i stopped selling on ebay because of the scams going on there and ebay will always side with the buyer no matter what.
has anyone got scammed from a buyer and if so, how did FB handle the situation?
i have some small items i would like to sell, usually under $200. would hate to have a buyer saying an item is DOA and then return back to me an item that i didnt even send in the first place.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
FB gives no fucks about any of it. its harder to get a scam taken down than for them to flag and get legit ads removed.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
FB marketplace doesn't give 2 shits either. I got hit by a scam so I can give some advice.

If you meet the person, make it cash only. No apps.
If you ship, make sure you have all shipping confirmations. Do NOT ship to an address other then the seller.

Remember if there is a problem, there is no way to contact FBMP for help. You are on your own.

Other then that they are great.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
i stopped selling on ebay because of the scams going on there and ebay will always side with the buyer no matter what.
has anyone got scammed from a buyer and if so, how did FB handle the situation?
i have some small items i would like to sell, usually under $200. would hate to have a buyer saying an item is DOA and then return back to me an item that i didnt even send in the first place.

You get zero protection from FB!

My tips
take good pics
only sell locally
don’t let anyone in your house or give out your address, meet in a public place
Buyer & seller both masked, buyer examines item & pays seller & leaves
if you are selling electronics make sure they are fully charged so buyer can examine them, consider doing this in a coffee shop

keep the meeting brief, maintain social distance & only accept cash, no payment from apps,make clear the sale is final.

oh! When you post your item, if your price is firm say so, if the buyer shows up & wants to play let’s make a deal, pick up your item and leave immediately

Last edited:
Reactions: SKORPI0