How does Britain feel about U.S. independence day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Originally posted by: ElFenix
my question is... if the british living here don't complain, then why the faq do mexicans complain about 1836 in texas?

Probably because the British gave up on trying to invade our country while the mexicans are still trying and doing a damn good job.

You do realize of course that some parts of the US were stolen from Mexico right? Namely Texas....

Not that I condone the influx of illegal aliens....

what are you talking about? nothing was "stolen" from mexico, we won it by dominating Mexico in warfare, not to mention that Texas declared independence by itself

The lack of understanding of US history in this thread, on this board, and of the younger generation as a whole frightens me.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Was it stolen or did we win it fair and square through warfare?

yup, it was the white mans burden. and well before the us fixed up the water works the area wasn't really able to support much of a population anyways. todays whitemans burden is do gooders trying to fix africa and stuff. it continues hehe

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
my question is... if the british living here don't complain, then why the faq do mexicans complain about 1836 in texas?

Probably because the British gave up on trying to invade our country while the mexicans are still trying and doing a damn good job.

lmao

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
After saving their behinds twice I doubt the Brits care much anymore.
Besides who else could we steal televison shows from and then turn them into absolute crap?

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
The classic-rock radio station here in St. Louis played British Invasion music all day. Dang Brits :p

Nate

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: cr0ssfire
Probably the same way many of us in the states feel about soccer and the World Cup... :p

Bingo...

cept they probably have a dash of detached bitterness...

The Batt?sai

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
I imagine after 200+ years they don't give a fvck

Surely there are SOME revolutionary war veterans still alive? ?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

wazzledoozle

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well i guess they lost a good thing, they coulda been uber...

then again, if we eventually became equal states in an empire, america would basically control parliament right? not sure they'd like that.

Either that or the USA in some form would have absorbed the British empire in a later war.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

You do realize of course that some parts of the US were stolen from Mexico right? Namely Texas....

Whoa dude, I usually like you and all that jazz but you may need to break open a history book. Texas fought it's own war of independence against Mexico - remember that Alamo thing? The Republic of Texas was it's own country for ten something years then applied to statehood in the U.S. In no way did the US go down to what was then the territory of Texas, slap some Mexican guys around and "stole" the land. After becoming a state, Texas "gave" a huge chunk of land to the US government as a sort of payment of debt from loans that the Republic of Texas incurred. Texas originally compromised something like half of what is now New Mexico, Colorado, and up into Idaho (I believe) - all of it fought for.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles

Whoa dude, I usually like you and all that jazz but you may need to break open a history book. Texas fought it's own war of independence against Mexico - remember that Alamo thing? The Republic of Texas was it's own country for ten something years then applied to statehood in the U.S. In no way did the US go down to what was then the territory of Texas, slap some Mexican guys around and "stole" the land. After becoming a state, Texas "gave" a huge chunk of land to the US government as a sort of payment of debt from loans that the Republic of Texas incurred. Texas originally compromised something like half of what is now New Mexico, Colorado, and up into Idaho (I believe) - all of it fought for.
In addition Texas also gave us G.W.Bush and Walker, Texas Ranger. I think they still owe us;)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: cr0ssfire
Probably the same way many of us in the states feel about soccer and the World Cup... :p

Bingo...

cept they probably have a dash of detached bitterness...

No, mostly Brits are happy we don't have anything to do with the US, after all, we have Canada, and Canada > the US.
(Commonwealth).

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

Yes, I am aware of all that.

I guess it boils down to what your definition of stealing is.

Hell, for that matter, the whole damn country was "Stolen" from the natives.
Or at least the majority of it was. I guess we DID "pay" for Manhattan Island. ;) And no doubt things were offered up for other small pieces of it. But if you are pointing a gun at someones head when you offer them a pittance for something and they sell it, well most courts would still considerer it stealing.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Wah, wah...mexico stolee it from spain who stole it from the indians...there's no justification to "I stole it from someone else before you stole it from me!"

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
i know texans that refer to their origin as the republic of texas and consider it an independent country that merely shares a national government with the rest of the US

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like most losers, they are still in denial.

(about the original question)

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: iwantanewcomputer
i know texans that refer to their origin as the republic of texas and consider it an independent country that merely shares a national government with the rest of the US

:beer::D

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Yes, I am aware of all that.

I guess it boils down to what your definition of stealing is.

Hell, for that matter, the whole damn country was "Stolen" from the natives.
Or at least the majority of it was. I guess we DID "pay" for Manhattan Island. ;) And no doubt things were offered up for other small pieces of it. But if you are pointing a gun at someones head when you offer them a pittance for something and they sell it, well most courts would still considerer it stealing.

Even by that logic the US didn't steal Texas. The people living in Texas stole it from Mexico and gave it to the US.