How does ATOT test for carbon monoxide?

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Do you all have a battery powered CO monitor, perform an annual heat exchanger test, or just have the service dude come out?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I keep a cage of prisoners on each floor of the house. If they start to croak I start to worry.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My parents bought a CO detector a few years ago (took them 23 years to realize it's a good idea to have one :p). At my current new house, did not buy one yet but probably will at some point. I'd also like to figure out a way to interface it with the main gas valve so if it does detect a leak it shuts off the gas, but not sure how easy taht is to do. I'd like to do the same with smoke detectors. If it detects smoke it turns off the gas and electricity. That too, no idea how easy. Need some kind of relay of some sort for that and the gas one would need to be installed by a licenced gas fitter. I don't know why this is not standard... bet lot of fires would be prevented this way.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We have one in the basement near the HVAC and one on the first floor because we have a gas fireplace. Nothing needed on the top floor.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
We have detectors built into the fire detectors that were built into our house (connected to the power grid). They're pretty nice. They have different alarms and lights depending on the situation.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
If my insomnia comes back then I know there isn't any carbon monoxide in the house.

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
We have detectors built into the fire detectors that were built into our house (connected to the power grid). They're pretty nice. They have different alarms and lights depending on the situation.

:confused:

Smoke rises but CO is heavier than air. Where are your detectors located?

NascarFool

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Any fuel burning appliance creates CO. As a NATE Certified HVAC Tech, I strongly recommend having your furnace serviced every fall. A CO Detector should be within 15 feet of the bedrooms. You should not put a CO detector in the same room as the furnace, you can get false alarms when it is near the furnace or water heater.

krylon

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by: NascarFool
Any fuel burning appliance creates CO. As a NATE Certified HVAC Tech, I strongly recommend having your furnace serviced every fall. A CO Detector should be within 15 feet of the bedrooms. You should not put a CO detector in the same room as the furnace, you can get false alarms when it is near the furnace or water heater.

What do you mean by serviced?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Children and the elderly are more susceptible to CO poisoning, so send them in first.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
co detector / smoke alarm combination... just replaced the battery Sunday. the "low battery" voice sounds like a Mexican demon android witch.

NascarFool

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: krylon
Originally posted by: NascarFool

What do you mean by serviced?

Have a respectable HVAC shop clean and check the system.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We were supposed to get the HVVAC system checked this fall, but our neighbor who's our HVAC tech, just had shoulder surgery, so he's out of commission for a couple of months. He said that once he's healed up, he'll be over to take care of it.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
clean the coil? check for what? i'm wondering if having your furnace serviced is just some dude looking at it and saying that will be $75.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: krylon
Originally posted by: Fritzo

:confused:

Smoke rises but CO is heavier than air. Where are your detectors located?

Don't know. Maybe in the ducts? All I know is it squawks for CO2 and flashes blue, and beeps for fire and flashes red.