How do you verify VPN encrytion? I'me using OpenVPN

JMB1911

Dec 22, 2009
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I'm trying to setup a OpenVPN on a a Tmobile Cellspot(a re-branded Asus RT-AC68U ). When I connect to the VPN from my phone I am getting my router's external IP address when I do an IP address lookup, so I know traffic is going though the router but how do I know it is really encrypted? The point of setting this up so I can safely browse the internet when using public wifi while traveling.

You never know who might be sniffing packets.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I know my normal IP address from my ISP so when I turn on the VPN I check www.whatismyip.com if the IP address comes back different then I know I'm good.

Since you're traveling, I would probably take the extra step to check whatismyip.com before I turn on my VPN and then check to make sure it's different afterwards.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
as long as you have set up OpenVPN properly (and not using any inferior encryption methods that can be broken), openvpn should show an icon/notification that it's connected and you're fine

if you don't want to set up openvpn, Project Fi offers free VPN when connecting (automatically) to open networks
https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6164833?hl=en
Wi-Fi Assistant does the following:

Finds open Wi-Fi networks at places like coffee shops or hotels.
Automatically connects to networks we determine to be high-quality (while avoiding unreliable connections and networks where you need to take action to connect).
Protects your data by sending it through a secure connection.
When your phone is connected via Wi-Fi Assistant, you'll see this icon in your notifications bar, and your Wi-Fi connection will say "Connected via Wi-Fi Assistant."

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
If you're connected via your mobile internet connection and getting your router's IP address which is on a different ISP then you're good. If OpenVPN isn't setup properly it just won't work.

LoopBack

Mar 21, 2016
Some VPN clients have a menu or option some where to view encrypted and decrypted packets. (By view I mean it shows packet counters for both.) I believe Viscosity does on Mac OS. I use it for connection to an OpenVPN server. You can also sniff the traffic with Wireshark. The payload will be encrypted, but more obviously you'll see the traffic as SSL traffic.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You never know who might be sniffing packets.

You could tether your phone to another computer via its USB cable, make a connection to your router's VPN and then run a packet sniffer on your computer. I have used tow packet sniffers. They are, Wireshark and Smartsniff by Nirsoft. If you see a bunch of crap in the packets you know the packets are indeed encrypted.

If you don't have a tethering plan, look no further than PdaNet. http://www.junefabrics.com/

But don't get into the habit of tethering when you don't have a plan. Your cell provider may find out. I only use it when my ISP goes out.