How do you treat family members who are totally opposite of what you believe politically?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Often ignore, sometimes post a Fact Check, other times argue against. Most recently had to argue that Systemic Racism exists, because apparently people are just Irresponsible and those saying otherwise follow Satan.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I don't have any family members/relatives that I know of who have been conditioned into being Trump supporters. I have friends at work who are though. Good hard working folks who like to inject their FOX talking points at every opportunity that presents itself, of which I found perplexing because my friends at work who identify themselves as Democrats rarely talk about politics if at all.

It's like some of those Trump supporters at work have an urge to needlessly defend themselves in order to relieve themselves of some kind of pent up anger and frustration they feel for supporting Trump and the Repubs in Congress.

I never take the bait and get into another one way "discussion" about why Trump needs to be defended against his enemies. Done that, don't have a need for it.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I have a good mix of both Trump supporters and liberals in my family. I can talk politics with both camps. Neither camp can talk to one another.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I honestly think i get more arguments on what i spent money on, or who i am going out with more so then politics.

I remember i almost got into a slight argument even about Tesla, when my cousin's date was talking like he knew everything about tesla, only to find out later the one parked in the driveway was mine. :eek:

Yeah, the entire family looked at him funny and i do not think my cousin and him lasted very long dating wise afterwards.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
My son and wife are extreme liberals ( like AOC and Warren liberal ). When I go visit him or vice versa Politics is a forbidden discussion. If he broaches the subject I leave or he leaves.

We have learned to just not discuss politics.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I honestly think i get more arguments on what i spent money on, or who i am going out with more so then politics.

I remember i almost got into a slight argument even about Tesla, when my cousin's date was talking like he knew everything about tesla, only to find out later the one parked in the driveway was mine. :eek:

Yeah, the entire family looked at him funny and i do not think my cousin and him lasted very long dating wise afterwards.

Not discounting your xp here, or your knowledge. from the tech areas of this forum, I know you're a very technically inclined person. I'm replying to this because it's more likely a consumer will own something they know nothing about than the other way. However, I rarely hear anyone say they know everything about a product. That sounds like a young man's game, or just a fool.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Was going to be smug that I don't have this problem. But then I remembered it's because both my parents fell out with, and lost contact with, much of their extended families, largely over politics (though politics is always inextricably mixed-up with practical personal issues), before I was born.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
My Trumpie family are all college educated, upper middle class wage earners, so I just can’t understand how they were taken in to such an extent by someone so obviously weak and childish as Donald Trump. I just don’t get it. And I feel sorry for them.

This for me as well, and it includes some close friends as well as family members. I just do not discuss politics with them.

Reactions: HurleyBird

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I have a huge family that runs all types and social classes.

Rich to poor, LDS missionaries, to millionaire cowboys, to bikers, to Berkshire lesbians.

Basically I don't care to discuss politics with most of them, unless we really get into a substantial discussion where some meaningful insights might be made. I would never post anything on Facebook certainly.

You're not going to really change any minds, so it's not worth the fight and everyone is still family in the end.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
My Sister and her husband's family are all conservative and has been for decades. They tolerate Trump for the tax breaks. They own lots of property.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I am the youngest sibling and my parents are dead so I avoid my family. They are all older republicans who listen to Rush and watch Fox so I know they are screwed up in the head. My sister and her new boyfriend wanted to stay with us for a weekend and I said no, he is a card carrying Trump maniac. She also likes to smoke outside because I make her, but she flicks her butts onto my driveway. I have no problem telling my family to fuck off, I prefer to spend time with friends that I agree with and can tolerate, I chose them, I was not able to chose my family. I have no regerts about it, we all make choices that we have to live with.

Reactions: MrSquished

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I just do not discuss politics with them.

There's the answer. If you can talk politics with family and have it not get heated, awesome, go for it. Otherwise avoid it. You aren't going to change each other's minds when you're both in a confrontational state, and family relationships are more important than politics anyway.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't have any family members/relatives that I know of who have been conditioned into being Trump supporters. I have friends at work who are though. Good hard working folks who like to inject their FOX talking points at every opportunity that presents itself, of which I found perplexing because my friends at work who identify themselves as Democrats rarely talk about politics if at all.

It's like some of those Trump supporters at work have an urge to needlessly defend themselves in order to relieve themselves of some kind of pent up anger and frustration they feel for supporting Trump and the Repubs in Congress.

I never take the bait and get into another one way "discussion" about why Trump needs to be defended against his enemies. Done that, don't have a need for it.

You recall Nixon's reference to the "silent majority" and Trump's repetition of it? My observation is that they are neither a majority, nor are they particularly silent. When were they ever?

Reactions: tweaker2

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wow. That was a really intelligent post. /s

There could have been a more substantive answer, but on a basic level it's right.

In most fully developed countries, and many developing countries, the ideas that AOC, Warren and the like are asking for are recognized as reasonable. On a global scale, the US is oddly conservative -- moderate Democrats would be center-right in numerous parts of the world, and the AOC/Warren types would be the actual left.

Besides, it's amusing how they can be considered "extreme" because they believe in radical concepts like... say, healthcare as a basic necessity, or not cooking the planet with fossil fuels. AOC et. al. definitely have their naïveté and make mistakes, but they're eminently more rational than modern Republicans.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Brexit was the final nail in the coffin of political discussion between my parents and I, they voted for it and my wife is German (to those who don't know, Brexit was a political battleground where Brexiteers routinely conflated illegal immigration with legal immigration and basically it was all bad).

One of the final nails in the coffin was the topic of homosexuality: my parents were firmly opposed to it. My dad attempted to raise the argument with me again when I was visiting a few years ago, and I told him that if he could calmly put forward a logical argument against gay marriage then I'd be happy to take him up in it. He was on the verge of snapping at me and then stopped himself. End of argument.

My mum died and my dad's ability to carry a conversation is significantly affected by this dementia these days, so it's not a problem any more.

IMO there's little that can reasonably be discussed with people who don't believe in treating people like human beings.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
You lost me at AOC and Warren being extreme liberals.
Oh the humanity! Why would we want to hold corporations accountable, close tax loop holes, be proactive in moving to a carbon neutral economy, provide universal healthcare, use science for reality based decision making, and provide affordable debt-free education!? God damn libruls having a plan for a better future.

Reactions: sandorski

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You recall Nixon's reference to the "silent majority" and Trump's repetition of it? My observation is that they are neither a majority, nor are they particularly silent. When were they ever?

Spot on. It always sounded particularly unfitting to me how the Repub party apparatchicks would bandy that phrase about when describing the support they receive from the general population. As proof, the 2016 elections proved that the "silent majority" were over 3 million voters who gave the popular vote count to Democrat Hillary Clinton. As well, the 2018 elections simply proved it again.

It's actually insulting to me that the Repub leadership would utter that phrase as if they owned it, as if it actually existed in their favor.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
There could have been a more substantive answer, but on a basic level it's right.

In most fully developed countries, and many developing countries, the ideas that AOC, Warren and the like are asking for are recognized as reasonable. On a global scale, the US is oddly conservative -- moderate Democrats would be center-right in numerous parts of the world, and the AOC/Warren types would be the actual left.

Besides, it's amusing how they can be considered "extreme" because they believe in radical concepts like... say, healthcare as a basic necessity, or not cooking the planet with fossil fuels. AOC et. al. definitely have their naïveté and make mistakes, but they're eminently more rational than modern Republicans.

Talking about US Politics. In the US they are extreme left of center in my view.

Of course you are welcome to your own view as well.