How do you travel?

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
I just returned from my first big trip, a 2 1/2 tour of Europe followed by a month in Thailand and Vietnam. I blew all of my life savings but still feel I spent relatively little for the entire trip, especially considering that most of the time was spent in Europe. If you're curious the total was under $7,000, with a few occurances of overspending in Ireland and the Netherlands that hurt my overall average.

I now have the travel bug and was looking at the variety of ways of travelling often and for extended periods of time without much effort. Some methods are teaching English, working in the 1st world and then living in the 3rd world on and off, study abroad, and many others. I was just wondering what other travellers do to keep moving and what other things they have tried which maybe did not work so well.

Right now I am still only 19 so living with my dad is not totally unacceptable. I plan on working for the next 4 months and finishing my last quarter at community college, which means I get food money from my dad and can then save my earnings and be able to return to Asia for 2-3 months very soon. After finishing college completely the English abroad thing looks tempting, maybe I'll try a wealthier country like Japan first before diving into the 3rd world for as long as a year.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
You spent $7000 on yourself for a vacation and you're still in college?

Study abroad is good, and often costs less than tuition itself.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: veggz
You spent $7000 on yourself for a vacation and you're still in college?

Study abroad is good, and often costs less than tuition itself.

I am lucky enough to have college paid for by my family and after working all through high school, with many hours and a relatively high wage, I was able to save enough money for a big trip like I had always wanted to take. In retrospect I could've used that money for 6-7 months in Asia but I saw Europe as a Travel 101 course that I should go through before going to more exotic places.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Go work for a study abroad program;) You get to go on trips for free as a tour leader/chaperone and get paid for it (though I did think I was going to have a nervous breakdown in Russia since I was stressed out about my students getting kidnapped/robbed/arrested/raped/killed)