How do you test stability?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AL77

Apr 11, 2000
rking, you can run demo001 and demo002 on the Quake3 demo (I don't know if these are the same demos as the retail).

timedemo 1
demo demo001[demo002]

DanStp

Oct 9, 1999

I use SETI to help me determine when a system is stable. The info for joining our SETI team is in my Sig.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Of course you need to make sure your configuration is stable at default before OCing...if your settings for the video card are not stable enough to run heavy gaming at default you can tweak your Overclocking all day and pull your hair out trying to figure why you cant OC your system to expected values when unknownst to you, it is a simple setup problem thats kicking your butt..

Shirak

Nov 5, 1999
If you've got lots of free HD space and a DVD drive, you can do what I've been doing to stress the CPU/Memory/HD pretty good...

I ripped one of my DVD's onto my HD, both a short 10-minute section, and the full movie. I then encode them into DivX (MPEG 4) format. The smaller file takes about 20 mins and is a quick test of whatever speed I decide to run. If it passes that I let it work on the whole movie, which is definatly an overnight task.

And no..., I won't send anyone copies of the movie. I delete the encoded files when I'm done, I just do it to test stability.

Rob.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Aboroth,

Well, if I overclock too much I can still run BurnBX forever if the speed isn't outrageous. At the same overclocked speed, I can run Unreal Tourney Flyby for hours on end. But, I can't run them both (at the same time with BurnP6 also) for more than about half an hour or so. Tone down the overclocking, and everything is fine. So clearly, BurnBX alone is not as good.