How do you tell if there is more than one dead pixel in a spot?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I was looking at a monitor and it looks like there is one dead pixel but if I fire up photoshop the size of it is between 2 and 3 one pixel dots according to Photoshop.

Also the area of dead pixels almost looks like one is floating closer to the outside of the screen than the others.

Are photoshop 'pixels' the same size as monitor ones?

Pixels1.jpg

This image shows the pixels on the top. Right below are a group of pixels in a 1x1, 1x2 and 1x3 arrangement to get the scale.

thanks

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
NEC rocks!

the estimate that's about 4-6 pixels in a 5x5 quadrant so I qualify for a replacement.

not only that since this was on arrival they are picking up the return shipping! (not really a huge amount of dough, but a nice customer service move).

Missed the pickup today so I will have it on wednesday or thurday.

I did have to allow a hold on my CC to cover the monitor (no big deal to be able to have it cross-shipped, I wish all companies did this).

I just hope my next one is good. I have been reading some people's stories of getting one bad one after another (not NEC's though mostly the lower end large screens).

Based on my early review of this screen I am really sort of glad my G500 21" CRT died and I bit the bullet on going all out on a LCD2490WUXi

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Not to beat a dead horse but that's why a lot of people prefer Dell monitors. Dell makes good monitors for general consumers and gamers but they also have a great return policy.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not to beat a dead horse but that's why a lot of people prefer Dell monitors. Dell makes good monitors for general consumers and gamers but they also have a great return policy.

It's like Apple's but a small window and doesn't cover dead pixels usually.

At the same time I didn't buy my 90 series NEC as a general consumer or as a gamer.

However; even with this assed-out pixel group I have a hard time believing it's not a high-end CRT I am looking at. Even at my 85Hz before the text quality is so much better.

Photoshop is even more awesome.

There is a 'richness' to the overall feeling I didn't have before. The blacks are actually blacker...pretty much absolute black...white level is a little off but I haven't calibrated at all.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
One area Dell doesn't address that NEC does is the very high end such as professional image editors, etc. Just not sure about NEC's policies but for general users, Dell is pretty good.

Glad to see NEC has a decent return policy though I would feel safer if it was a zero dead pixel policy if I was buying a $1000 monitor.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
out of 2.3 million pixels, how many can you really 'see'.

A dead pixel in the central area of a panel is quite visible... especially on an IPS, since their pixels are roughly "square".

When I first got my 2690, I actually did go back and forth with NEC a few times due to quality issues... but they shipped me 3 different replacements, all on their dime.

I don't know about now, but at the time, a rep informed me that one fully dead pixel was indeed grounds for an RMA on a 90 series.