How do you tell if a child is right or left handed?

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Really, I wonder. Who can tell me?

edit: I mean a newborn... when is the earliest you can tell, and how do you do it?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If they write with their left hand, they are right handed.
If they write with their right hand, they are left handed.
Duh.

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
Use your charcoal grill to get a piece of coal really hot. Proceed to throw the coal at your son/daughter and tell them to "catch". Whichever hand is burned the worst, is their primary hand.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
If you have to beat them to get them to use the correct hand, then they are left handed.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: nonameo

edit: I mean a newborn... when is the earliest you can tell, and how do you do it?

I don't know, and wonder why it is important?

Like the above poster I am ambidexterous (sp?)

I play all sports right handed, because that's the eqiupment that was available.

I write left handed, because in school our pencil holders were on the left side of the desk (and my 1st grade teacher did not try to change it). And no, I don't draw my hand through ink etc when writing.

When eating, I'm the only person I know who doesn't have to have to constantly shift their knife/fork back n forth. The fork is on the left side of the plate, I use my left with it. The knife is on the right side, I use my right hand for the knife.

If it's your kid, jus let them do what's natural. I never forced mine and he's clearly right handed, he worked it out naturally.

Fern

cuongnita

Sep 14, 2006
Who knows? you only can tell when they grow up? But some parents don't like their child use left hand just like my parents.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
check the way the hair swirls outward on the top of his or her head. if it swirls counterclockwise they are right-handed, if it swirls clockwise they are left-handed.

this is just a heuristic, however, and should not be considered a rule.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: nonameo

I don't know, and wonder why it is important?

Like the above poster I am ambidexterous (sp?)

I play all sports right handed, because that's the eqiupment that was available.

I write left handed, because in school our pencil holders were on the left side of the desk (and my 1st grade teacher did not try to change it). And no, I don't draw my hand through ink etc when writing.

When eating, I'm the only person I know who doesn't have to have to constantly shift their knife/fork back n forth. The fork is on the left side of the plate, I use my left with it. The knife is on the right side, I use my right hand for the knife.

If it's your kid, jus let them do what's natural. I never forced mine and he's clearly right handed, he worked it out naturally.

Fern

Fern, being able to use both hands for different tasks is not what ambidextrous means.

You have to be able to perform tasks equally well with both hands to claim ambidextrouse abilities.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
check the way the hair swirls outward on the top of his or her head. if it swirls counterclockwise they are right-handed, if it swirls clockwise they are left-handed.

Ummm, actually that is correlated with sexual preference.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern

Fern

I do the same. Most other lefties that I've seen do the same, but I've met a few who switch it around.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: homercles337

really? i don't remember where i got my information but i was sure i remember it correctly.

oh well.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Just throw a baseball at them. If they try to block it with a certain hand, then there you go.

If they don't try to block it then you may need more baseballs.

Lash444

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2002
I'm pretty weird about which hand i use... my grandpa and I are almost the same in this way too, though I didn't think it was based on genetics. Strength things I do right handed...precision things I do left handed.

I write, eat (use knife in my left hand though), throw darts/frisbee left handed.

I play disc golf, golf, bat, throw, arm wrestle with my right hand.

I prefer to kick with my left foot.

I really think I am messed up about this. Other than my grandpa and myself, I don't know anyone else who follows this pattern. I can be ambidextrous with a lot of tasks, but I can't be as precise with my right or as strong with my left.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337

i thought that was to determine the swirl of your chakra. :(

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: dainthomas
If you have to beat them to get them to use the correct hand, then they are left handed.

LOL, that was funny :)

It is sadly true in a lot of cases. My mother & quite a few of her cousins had to be "corrected".