How do you properly clean your ears/get that earwax out?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
I dont know why, but I think a thread on here has scared me into stop putting q-tips in my ears, searching around the web they say don't do it either. So I have been using baby oil, every other day or so and that does not seem to work so well.

I have heard using warm water will just work...if that the case then I should not ever have to use qtips, baby oil, or anything, correct...if I just shower in hot water and have the water go directly into my ears.

thoughts ?

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
With extreme cases you can use iprophyl rubbing alcohol. it'll dissolve whatever wax you have in there.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
All you have to do is use a qtip after a hot shower. Just stick the tip in pretty far and it should wick out all the soft wax and water.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
All you have to do is use a qtip after a hot shower. Just stick the tip in pretty far and it should wick out all the soft wax and water.

errr, that is what they say not to do....it can just build it up and push it further, or you can damage your ear drum....

or am i just paranoid ?

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

errr, that is what they say not to do....it can just build it up and push it further, or you can damage your ear drum....

or am i just paranoid ?

pfft they only say that to protect themselves from the moron who sues them because they jammed it in their ear so deep that their bleed brain and damage brain cause.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
My uncle says he puts drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear to eat up the wax.

No clue if that's safe or not.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: TheUnk

pfft they only say that to protect themselves from the moron who sues them because they jammed it in their ear so deep that their bleed brain and damage brain cause.

lol

And yes, don't worry about it too much, just don't try and tickle your brain with 'em

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
In the ER, we'll flush your ear with warm water with a special syringe to irrigate it. It's important that it is warm water, as ice cold water will induce uncontrolled eye movement and vomiting. Ice water is used for determining brain stem response when diagnosing.

You can also use Colace (a brand of pediatric stool softener) to loosen ear wax. Just prick a capsule of Colace and let a drop or two go inside your ear. Pack the ear with cotton balls and wait. Flush with warm water. Google Colace+Ear+Wax.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: GenHoth

lol

And yes, don't worry about it too much, just don't try and tickle your brain with 'em

I was using a q-tip one day and all of sudden I couldn't hear out my right ear. It freaked the heck out of me. I thought I must have punctured my ear drum or something. I thought I was going to be deaf for life. I went to the doctor and they said I had just wedged a small piece of wax right up against the ear drum.

I still using q-tips but only for the outside of my ear. I use those ear wax drops every now and then to clean deeper in the canal.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
I just use a letter opener on the drive to work.

Bad idea :(

Eh I've used a file on a pair of nail clippers ( Yes, I washed it afterward :p) and it worked fine. It actually worked better than q-tips, because q-tips tend to get some but also pack it down, which is why I was told not to use them. I still do sometimes, but using water or some other safe liquid tends to work a lot better.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: Leros
Originally posted by: GenHoth

lol

I was using a q-tip one day and all of sudden I couldn't hear out my right ear. It freaked the heck out of me. I thought I must have punctured my ear drum or something. I thought I was going to be deaf for life. I went to the doctor and they said I had just wedged a small piece of wax right up against the ear drum.

I still using q-tips but only for the outside of my ear. I use those ear wax drops every now and then to clean deeper in the canal.

what is this ear wax drop that cleans deeper?

rofl, my asian friends have metal sticks that they shove in their ears...WTF!?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: child of wonder
My uncle says he puts drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear to eat up the wax.

No clue if that's safe or not.

This is what my doctor recommended my wife and I do with our son whenever he had wax build up. You need to put in more than a drop (an eye dropper full is fine) and let it sit there for about 15 min. Afterwards, flush it with warm water.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
that's why i use the dollar store q-tips. they're so cheap they only have like the bare minimum of cotton on the end to qualify as a q-tip. so instead of jamming the wax down with those really big Qtip brand qtips, i can clean it out with surgical precision, thanks to my cheap dollar store off brand cotton swabs.