How do you pronounce this last name - Ng ?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Just wondering. A person that I will be calling in a conference call has that last name, but I'm not sure how to pronounce it. Would like a head's up before the event....

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It's a common chinese surname. Pronounce is as "uh-ng", like urn + g, without the "r" sound.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
I breifly knew somebody with the last name 'Ng'. I beleived it was was pronounced 'ing', keeping the 'i' short.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
that depends, if that person is Cantonese (from HongKong or the GuangDong Province of China) then it is NOT pronouced as "Eng" or "ing" but rather .... or rather.... damn. i can't.

its very difficult to pronounce it with English equivalent....

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
The closest that you can spell it out in English is like "hhmm", but don't aspirate the "h".

It sort of comes out like "mm".

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
On a related note, how do you pronounce the name Nguyen? :confused: These are things I just can't sound out in English.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
On a related note, how do you pronounce the name Nguyen? :confused: These are things I just can't sound out in English.

In California, I've noticed the popular way is "New-win."

In the midwest with few Vietnamese, it's more diverse:

"Win"
"New-Yen"
"Ngoo-Yen"

Pick one.

The real pronunciation is something like "Ngween" with inflection in your tone, like a rollercoaster ride starting high, then low, then high again...like a tilde sign ~ ;) :confused:

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001

I think it's new-yen, or something like that. Nothing like it looks, thats for sure

`K

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

a coworker said to say it like "when" and add an N in front. "nwhen", or something like that. that probably still isn't right, but it's close. he eventually changed his name to Brian anyway.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: AndyHui
The closest that you can spell it out in English is like "hhmm", but don't aspirate the "h".

It sort of comes out like "mm".

hehe.... I wanted to post what you said exactly, but I fear what might follow --- "How the fukk you pronouce 'hhmm' ?"

:)

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Kenazo
oh the hilarity of english speakers attempting names of other unrelated languages. :)

lol...then those non-Americans give up trying to correct everyone and change their names to some common, bland Anglicized name. "For the last time, Phuc is not pronounced FVCK! Phuc it, I'm Bob now."

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I this person's full name Ken Ng? We had a Director of Marketing @ my hotel who just left recently, and he pronounced his name "ing". I believe he was of Chineese decent...

:)