How do you not die

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
I know a few people who have tried to commit suicide by cutting their wrists. And I know a few people who know people who have as well.
But they all managed to live through it.
How can you mess something like that up?
Does the blood clot before you can bleed to death?

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ermmm cuz they cut the wrong way....and not deep enough. your radial artery is deep and most people dont cut deep enough to hit it therefore only slicing some small peripheral veins.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
If someone really wanted to kill themselves by slitting their wrists, they wouldn't do it the wrong way...

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Ermmm cuz they cut the wrong way....and not deep enough. your radial artery is deep and most people dont cut deep enough to hit it therefore only slicing some small peripheral veins.

So basically, it could not bleed enough before clotting to kill them?

I was stabbed in the hand once, right on a vein. The knife cut the vein open, and blood began to squirt out in bursts. It shot across the room, then stopped, then shot across the room, then stopped. It was horribly painful.

I cant imagine how painful it would be to cut your wrists.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aflac
If someone really wanted to kill themselves by slitting their wrists, they wouldn't do it the wrong way...

i agree. people who fail via the wrist method were just cryin' for attention.
now, if you really wanted to get it done with the wrist, cut deep and lengthwise with the vein/artery (as noted above), and then lay in filled bathtub. good night.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: HN
Originally posted by: Aflac

i agree. people who fail via the wrist method were just cryin' for attention.
now, if you really wanted to get it done with the wrist, cut deep and lengthwise with the vein/artery (as noted above), and then lay in filled bathtub. good night.

That's depressing.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Veins do not pulse. Arteries pulse.

To get to an artery by cutting accross your wrists, you have to cut through a whole lot of stuff. Most people just break out the razor blades and cut a few veins. They make a big mess and get lots of attention, but they aren't likely to die. It's the classic plea for help. If you are serious about killing yourself, there are far more effective ways, but the chicken shits who commit suicide stay away from them.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Veins do not pulse. Arteries pulse.

To get to an artery by cutting accross your wrists, you have to cut through a whole lot of stuff. Most people just break out the razor blades and cut a few veins. They make a big mess and get lots of attention, but they aren't likely to die. It's the classic plea for help. If you are serious about killing yourself, there are far more effective ways, but the chicken shits who commit suicide stay away from them.

You are right.

That's what was stabbed, the Ulnar Artery.