How do you make french press coffee?

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I just tried and my first attempt was a miserable failure. It's very weak so my first guess is that I didn't put enough grounds or it didn't steep long enough. I have a 4 cup drip machine (which makes 2 full mugs) and I put in 3 rounded scoops... how would that translate to the french press? I'm trying this because I had some french press coffee some place and it was the best coffee I have ever had and it was just generic coffee grounds!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
First, You get a Frenchman.

Seriously, mine says 2 tablespoon to 6 oz of water. 12oz use 4 and 32oz use 10, 48 oz use 16.

Use press gind or "coarse"

Start with cold water, brew for 4 min then press.

Drink within 20 min.

All directions are from my Kenya Fress Press Coffee maker.

Let me know if this helps, please.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I tried it again! BLEH :(, tasted more like dirt than coffee... I am using normal grind though... Back to drip coffee until I get inspired again :p

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Are trying to make French Press coffee with a drip coffee machine? If you are talking about what I think you are talking about, you need an apparatus called a "Bodum" It is a simplified coffee maker consisting of a transparent container resmbling a beaker with a slider that actually pushes the coffee through the water and infuses it along the way. Your coffee should be ground finer than regular drip coffee. Go to a specialty shop and not a starbucks etc, and ask for a Bodum. A shop that specializes in gourmet coffee will know exactly what you mean.Be wary of any place selling flavours akin to a Baskin Robbins, they won't have a clue .

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah I have a bodum... I just can't seem to make it right using it though... I just made a pot my regular coffee maker and it's nice and tasty :)

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well I don't blame you..bodum coffee sucks big time. Another type of coffee maker you might want to try out is an Italian Perculator. These are are aluminum and come in various sizes. One unscrews the top portion and fills the metal basket with coffee ( Espresso grind ) then fills the bottom portion with water and places on the stove. The water boils up through the coffee and then drips down again. The coffee is pretty good and it's what I drag around when travelling. Of course the best coffee is made by a real Espresso machine. I have been using one for about 20 yrs. (the same one). I make my espresso in a regular size cup so it is not as strong as a real esspresso. They sre expensive but worth the price. How many MR. Coffees do you think you would have gone through in 20 yrs? A few of the best brands are:
Saeko
Gaggia
and the last one escapes my memory. (begins with a J i think)
Do not..I repeat, do not but a cheap one as it doesn't have a pump strong enough to work well. The coffee must be a very fine grind , almost flour fine, and everything depends on the kind of coffee you buy. I would suggest my favourite- half Columbian black and half brown Arabica. This ofcourse is if you're really serious about your coffee... ;)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I dont care for the taste myself. Was just passing on info and assumed you had a Bodum but:

Do you pour in boiling water? Dont boil, it blanches the h20, just bring to as close to boil as possibe.

Do you time it 4 mins?

Muddy is usually too much coffee or too fine a grind.

Have to experiment to get it right for you. Ill stick with drip, thanks.

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
I second what Ultravox said, try the perculator first if you like the taste get yourself a good machine and...........enjoy. :D Espresso kicks a$$ big time.